can i put future in a spray bottle and use it for models ?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

can i put future in a spray bottle and use it for models ?

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I have a bottle of future and would like to be able to mist it on but don't know how well it will work. If i put straight future in a clean spray bottle how well will it mist on to a model ? do i need to thin it or can I use it full strength ? what kind of results can be expected with this method ?
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I've done it, but I had to find a really fine-mist bottle. This turned out to be one from a spray-on hair conditioner, which I of course washed out. It worked good a full strength, but you can always thin it down. I'd also do a test with your respective spray bottle to make sure it doesn't give you a lot of surface texture or anything. The brand of conditioner was Ion, but I think any pump-action hair product or even perfume would be the same sort of fine mist.

I liked the spray so well that I swapped it to a small glass bottle to use for superglue kicker.

-Rog
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I've brushed it on models with a foam make-up brush. You have to be careful and not over-coat. I've also just Futured the areas needed for decals with that brush. That works well for things like tanks which have just a few markings.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
david bailey

posting a reply

Post by david bailey »

I have applied future with a spray bottle,what you need is a small spray bottle made for cleaning eye glasses.You can get them at the dollar store,wal-mart,or cvs pharmacy.They don't cost much i have aton because i use them alot for my glasses,when the bottles empty i wash out and reuse in my modeling.there also great for useing when wet sanding keeping the paper and part wet.I even use them for applying super glue accelators.The key is make small amounts at a time and to apply several light coats instead of a real heavy coat. If you have to practice on a junk model first,wait a couple of hours between coats for best results.You should get a good shine with three coats tops.As far as useing i generally use future straight form the bottle without thinning,you can thin it if you want but i find you don't get the shine if you thin it.As for useing a perfume bottle spray i plan on trying that out,it sounds like it might work as well.
david bailey
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Thanks everyone, i was thinking of the small spray bottle also and wasn't sure if it would be pebblely with the sparay bottle. I know future self levels but with a spray bottle i just wasn't sure. For decals i like to use a small clean paintbrush along the decal and off the sides a little.
Bert :)
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Dukat, S.G.

Post by Dukat, S.G. »

When need be, I tend to just brush Future directly onto my models. Putting it on "thick" -- i.e., straight out of the bottle -- CAN lead to difficulties. For example, if you apply overly heavy lacquer flat coats to that surface, you'll have some unique abnormalities. Sadly, these can happen even if you set aside the Future-coated part for months.

To combat these overly-thick coats, what I try to do is hand-paint a Future coat that's diluted with 91% Isopropyl (upwards of 50%), along with maybe a bit of distilled water and an additional surfactant, like a drop or few of dishwater detergent. I'll apply two or three coats of those over the course of a day, then let them cure for at least two days in my food dehydrator.

The results are largely positive. Every so often, I'll encounter an aberration -- perhaps a part in which my enamel basecoat hadn't fully "outgassed" -- and I'd have a tiny if distinct "hole" in my finish. That's easily enough fixed if annoying.

Brushing Future onto [at least relatively small parts] isn't a big deal. Provided you achieve good, even coverage, conservativity's the rule of the day.
"Cardassians do like to talk. I suppose
it can be a failing, at times."-- Dukat

(My real name's Sean Robertson. Don't let the scales and alter-ego fool you ;D.)
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Thank you
BERT
MODEL MAKER
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

sorry, double post
BERT
MODEL MAKER