OT need to have a 1:12 mustang diecast repainted

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ashrond

OT need to have a 1:12 mustang diecast repainted

Post by ashrond »

Hi all,
I’m looking to have a 1:12 die cast mustang repainted; the paint has chipped off in several places like it’s been postmarked. The paint and chrome has faded in places as well; it’s odd because it’s been in a box since 94'.

Anyway I’m looking to get the paint repaired, or just striped and repainted if necessary but this is way out of my league so I’m looking for a pro.

Anyone interested or know someone who does this sort of thing professionally?

Thanks

-ash
Boldly being “that guy” since 2001.
denstore

Post by denstore »

It's not that hard work. I would give it a go myself first.
Disasemble as much as possible.
Strip the paint with something Mr Muscle Owen cleaner.
Check the surface for imperfections, and fill and sand if needed.
Mask of anything that shouldn't be painted.
Use a good primer like Tamiya or Games Workshop. Spray the primer in short bursts instead of continuous flow. Correctly done, the surface will be perfect. Check for dust or imperfections.
When spraying the final paint, try to find a room as dust free as possible. I sometimes use the bathroom, showering the walls and floor 10 minutes before painting. This binds dust from the air.
Spray several thin layers, letting each layer cure fully between applications. Polish away dust or imperfections between layers. The end result will be best if you can manage to build up a covering paintjob in several layers. Go for finish instead of coverage.
Job done.:)
Polish with polishing compound and/or fine polishing paper.
Do the chrome with bare metal foil.
ashrond

Post by ashrond »

the advice is much appreciated, however i dont own an airbrush and its not a good time to buy one and learn how to use it ATM. and something like this id perfer not to use a rattlecan so im content to pay someone else to do it for me.
denstore

Post by denstore »

If it wouldn't cost a fortune in postage alone, I could have done it. But as it is, I'm sure you will be better of with a more local modeller. Try local clubs, or shops that trade in die cast models. I'm sure you'll find a solution.
ashrond

Post by ashrond »

advice appreciated, ty!