Weathering no-nos? Critiques requested

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

radiofrog

Weathering no-nos? Critiques requested

Post by radiofrog »

In the Star Wars forum I saw these off-site pics posted, and my instant reaction was, "Here's some paint jobs gone awry." I have minimal experience now, but I would like to learn from the weathering on these models. I also wonder how much of my impressions are being colored by the outdoor lighting. Love to hear anyone's ideas on what was done wrong, or what could have been done better.

The AT-TE especially... at first glance I thought it had no weathering at all. Then on closer inspection, it looked like it had been raining oobleck on what ever planet it was on.
AT-TE

And my first impression from this one was the pilot must really like flying in reverse.
Ahsoka Tanos Jedi Starfighter

Thoughts?

Side Note: Do most people do a lot of their painting on the sprue?
"The middle third of the baseball bat turned into a column of burning sawdust accelerating in all directions like a bursting star."
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

No, most people don't paint on the sprue. Those are the Easy Kits, which come prepainted and are geared more toward kids, although they can make very nice models when built up properly and repainted.

As for the weathering, well when I was a kid I weathered with a black Sharpie, so... :roll:

Simple things like drybrushing and washing can go a long way, especially when you're the first in your class to learn them. :D

-Rog
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Also, if I understand correctly from the text, the poster didn't actually paint them, they're prototypes from Revell that he or she assembled. So perhaps the lesson is "Don't have your models painted and weathered by an international corporation"? :|

-Rog
radiofrog

Post by radiofrog »

Rogviler wrote:Also, if I understand correctly from the text, the poster didn't actually paint them, they're prototypes from Revell that he or she assembled.
Oops.. duh; guess I should lern tuh reed.

I've since seen a pic of an AT-ST toy that was pre-"weathered." More like stabbed at by an airbrush in a pitch black room.
AT-ST
"The middle third of the baseball bat turned into a column of burning sawdust accelerating in all directions like a bursting star."
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I like the shapes of the SW pre-painted kits. But all of them need to be thrown a bucket of bleach right away to get the nasty pre-paint job off.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Marco Scheloske

Post by Marco Scheloske »

Rogviler wrote:Also, if I understand correctly from the text, the poster didn't actually paint them, they're prototypes from Revell that he or she assembled. So perhaps the lesson is "Don't have your models painted and weathered by an international corporation"?
No - I know the builder, and the lesson is "I am the one who set up the paintjob to be copied in China, and these are my prototypes". Really. He is the one who paints the prototypes, those go to China to be then copied for the retail kits - as long as his ideas are not to complex and therefor to expensive to replicate.
Greetings from Germany -
"In glue we trust!" - http://technomaniaweb.jimdo.com

Marco