those of you that use a syringe for glue

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

those of you that use a syringe for glue

Post by raser13 »

i've been wanting to try this to step down the amount of glue that i go through. as well as the amount of overflow of glue that i leave on the model.

my question is how do you keep the glue from drying out? and how do you get the ca to not glue the syringe together in the first place? or is there a better glue than ca/superglue for me to switch to so i get the same hold factor without the amount of glue used? thanks for any insights.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

If you're squeezing CA right out of the bottle onto the model, that's the first thing you can change. But I don't use a syringe. I do occasionally use ZAP's supertips, when I need a fair amount of glue in a specific spot.

Mostly, what I do is put a couple of drops on some disposable object. A yogurt lid, for example. Then I use grill skewer to apply a tiny amount of glue to the model parts.
Shizman

Post by Shizman »

Just take a syringe tip in whatever gauge that allows a controlled flow onto your work. I have drawers of different gauge tips. If you use one with a metal tip, you can use a lighter to heat and clear it if the glue hardens in there.

The tips fit on all the CA bottles that I have and are much cheaper to get in bulk. I got a kit with 200 in it on ebay.
Wug

Post by Wug »

Hi raser13,

Disposable one-piece plastic droppers are an alternative to syringes. Model Master sold them through hobby shops.

Fill the bulb with CA from the bottle. Heat the tip of the tube with a candle and stretch it like you're stretching sprue. Cut the tip at your desired diameter. When it clogs repeat the process farther up the tube. When you're finished modeling for the day, melt the tube shut.

Plastic droppers were very popular with the local modelers about 15 years ago. I tried them for a while but I still had CA turn solid on me.

Mike
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I don't think there's any syringe or similar applicator that will survive more than a few hours/one use with CA glues.

I know they make small diameter Teflon tubes that are designed to fit over CA bottles to give you more control, but I think those are intended for production applications where you use the glue all day long, at the end of the day/shift you toss the tube and get a fresh one the next day, I don't think they can be reused once the glue sets.

Ken