Tamiya spray cans?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

mech

Tamiya spray cans?

Post by mech »

Have any of you fine folks used their spray cans? I was wondering if they are equivalent to Testors. What about pearls in a rattle can?
Tips and tricks also helpful. :D

thanks

j
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Way better than Testors. Acrylic Lacquer- so they're slightly hotter, but they're thinner than Testors enamel rattle cans. Never dealt with pearlescent colors, but their gloss and metallic colors are top notch. Only problem I ran into (once) is that the color in the can didn't match the cap color. I shot Nato Black on a Bandai Tumbler last year- and it's more green than black. :evil:

Standard rattle can rules IMO. I've decanted and bottled several of my favorite Tamiya rattle can colors so I can shoot em through an airbrush. Yes, I like them that much.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
robiwon

Post by robiwon »

Tamiya rattle cans are great. But like Saturn said may not match the cap. I just shot an Impala with their white primer (which was white) and then used their gloss white over that. The gloss white had a definite yellow tint to it. I used their semi-gloss black for my Keatonmobile and think that that color is the best for that car. The paint lays down thin so watch for runs if your heavy handed. Practice first if your used to Testors rattle cans. You have to change your style with the Tamiya cans. I will be using their pearl white on my Refit.
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

I knew it :shock: I have 2 cans of Tamiya that the caps are the exact colors i need but the tamiya color chart shows the "haze gray" almost a light greenish color :? the cap looks exactly like testors medium gray :shock: The 2 cans are still sealed and i can return them unopened. I saw my dealer had tamiya medium gray yesterday, and i may swap the paint out. I have wondered about the cap color not matching the paint inside the can. anyone ever spray the " haze gray ?
Hi Robiwon :D
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Saturn wrote:I shot Nato Black on a Bandai Tumbler last year- and it's more green than black. :evil: ...
As a note, NATO Black is a very dark green.
Abolish Alliteration
intergalacticthingamejig

Post by intergalacticthingamejig »

The Tamiya paints must smell better...surely!? :P

After two full days of using Tamiya my head feels a tad trippie :P
Yoda Jammies

Post by Yoda Jammies »

(did a search on the site, as well as Google and didn't find my answer. This was the thread closest to my question. Apologies if it has been answered a zillion times.)

Question.

Can you spray Testors MM Acrylic over a coat of Tamiya rattlecan paint (I believe the rattlecan is a lacquer)?

I have a large surface to cover that a rattle can would make easier, but I do not want any issues with compatability when I go back and detail with Testors MM Acrylic.

THANKS!

Jammies
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Acrylic over lacquer (Tamiya cans are synthetic lacquer based) isn't a problem.
Abolish Alliteration
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Tamiya rattlecans are the paint God would make if he were in the paint business.

That said, I did have problems with the gloss clear attacking decals on a Rambler model I built. It seemed to soften and shrink them. I finally (fourth try) applied the first couple coats very lightly, then the later ones more heavily, and got around the problem. Incidentally, that was several years ago and no sign of yellowing!
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

I have about every color on hand right now...multiples of many. (3 hours to the hobby shop!) I have never noticed the color/cap issue. No molded plastic is going to be the exact same as the paint....but Tamiya caps are a lot closer than anyone else s. I stopped using my air brush about 15 years ago when Tamiya cans hit the USA. I do dry mine in a food dehydrator but they dry fast anyway.....I am just impatient....and often spray one color over another.