New Iwata airbrush is on the way!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

nicholjm

New Iwata airbrush is on the way!

Post by nicholjm »

For our 6-year anniversary, my awesome wife ordered me a new Iwata Eclipse HP-CS airbrush. I've been using the cheapo Harbor Freight knock-off type airbrush for years now, and while that has worked pretty good so far, I'm excited to see the difference. The Harbor Freight airbrush was a siphon-feed type, and a pain to clean. The Iwata is a gravity-feed, which I'm excited about learning to use. I've always heard that Iwatas are the "Cadillacs" of the airbrush world. Anyways, it shipped yesterday, so I'll let yall know when it gets here!
"Dogs and cats, living together...MASS HYSTERIA!!!"
lakespeed

Re: New Iwata airbrush is on the way!

Post by lakespeed »

nicholjm wrote:For our 6-year anniversary, my awesome wife ordered me a new Iwata Eclipse HP-CS airbrush. I've been using the cheapo Harbor Freight knock-off type airbrush for years now, and while that has worked pretty good so far, I'm excited to see the difference. The Harbor Freight airbrush was a siphon-feed type, and a pain to clean. The Iwata is a gravity-feed, which I'm excited about learning to use. I've always heard that Iwatas are the "Cadillacs" of the airbrush world. Anyways, it shipped yesterday, so I'll let yall know when it gets here!
You'll love it. I just bought the BS last month and I'm slowly getting the hang of it. A big improvement for me. :D
Shaka, when the walls fell.
His eyes opened!
The bubbles rose.
:(
wraith1701

Post by wraith1701 »

I got to try out one of their airbrushes at wonderfest. I now want one so bad it hurts. Definitely on the top of my modeling tool upgrade list.
-Eric
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

My Iwata arrived last Friday, and what a beautiful tool it is. Very solid and sturdy feeling. I can't wait to try it out. However, I'm having a bit of a problem connecting the hose to my air compressor. The hose that came with it, each end is a female 1/8" BSP thread. This fits the airbrush just fine, but since I am using a regular shop air compressor, I need to adapt to 1/4" NPT female, so that I can attach my quick connect fitting. I can't find an adapter in any store that adapts to 1/8" BSP threads. I'm having to resort to researching Swagelok and Parker fittings (I use these fittings in my line of work, designing subsea manifolds for the oilfield). But I'd rather just walk in a store and buy the fittings if possible. Anyone else ever had this problem, and how did you fix it?
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Worse comes to worse.... change the fitting on the hose to work for you better?
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

Doing some research online now...I didn't realize I could cut the fitting off the end of the hose and change it out...I'll have to find the right fitting for that, but it sounds like the best solution so far...
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Any decent hardware store will have an adapter that'll fit it.

(and if you bought from Hummingline, i.e. Tom Grossman, he'll gladly help you find an adapter)
Abolish Alliteration
Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

I had the same issue with reducing my 1/4" compressor fittings down to the 1/8" of the regulator/air trap and airbrush line. Tons of adapters out there with any combination of 1/4" to 1/8" male or female that you may need. Nothing in any local stores here smaller than 1/4". We even have a Northern Tool store here locally and they didn't have it. Just do an ebay search for adapters and you will find anything you are looking for. I got mine for $2 with shipping and it arrived in just a couple days.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/ ... educer.jpg

No need to cut your lines nor remove any existing connectors.

Josh

EDIT: That's an adapter that's male 1/4" to female 1/8" pictured
"You should call Kenny Loggins and let him know you're in the 'Danger Zone,'
or have someone do it for you.....
DAANNGGGEEERR ZZOONNEE!!" -- Archer

My Blog
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

This is easier said that done. Hobby Lobby sells a Iwata hose that has a 1/8 fitting on one end (for the airbrush) and a 1/4 fitting on the other end, but I went into the store today and looked at it, and this won't work for me, because the 1/4 fitting is 1/4 BSP, not 1/4" NPT. I can tell because there is an O-ring in it, and BSPP fittings need an O-ring to seal.

I have found the fitting I need, but darn it if it isn't over $13 with shipping.

http://www.airbrushcity.com/accessories ... struct.jpg

That kinda sucks, I may be able to just buy a whole new hose with the right fittings. I had no idea this would be so hard. I've searched endless fittings on the web and cannot find a cheap solution.
Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

nicholjm wrote:
I have found the fitting I need, but darn it if it isn't over $13 with shipping.
Clearly you haven't checked ebay. I can't link any of the 15+ auctions i am looking at right now due to forum rules. Just search "1/4" to 1/8" airbrush adapter." I am looking at the exact one you need for 3.75 with free shipping.

My Blog
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

I have checked Ebay. When I search for "1/8 to 1/4 adapter" all I see are 1/8 NPT x 1/4 NPT adapters. I need 1/8 BSPP male x 1/4 NPT female. While 1/8 NPT male will screw into a 1/8 BSPP female port, it will not screw in far enough to seal due to the taper on the NPT. If you do see the adapter I need, could you please PM me the link?

Thanks
Beaveranger

Post by Beaveranger »

Two words.... Teflon Tape

My Blog
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

Problem solved my friends! Like I said, I design hydraulic systems for subsea oil equipment, so after scouring the 'net for a cheap fitting and finding zilch, I emailed my contact at Swagelok. We use Swagelok fittings all over our subsea manifolds. Sure enough, he has the proper adapter, and better yet, he's going to bring me a free "sample". Score!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Back before I had my fancy regulator I ended up machining a part to fit. Needed something to fit in something else IIRC.

Always handy to have a friend in the fittings business.
Abolish Alliteration
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

Here's how I rigged mine. I kind of prefer a pistol grip arrangement and it seems I can work with it better. I put some quick connect fittings on it so it can be easily removed.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc12 ... CS/001.jpg
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

Whoo-hoo! My friend at Swagelok delivered my custom made fitting yesterday - on the house, no less, and it works perfectly. I tried out the Iwata last night. I went very basic at first, just sprayed some water-based craft paint thru it to get a feel for it. It seems to work very well, I was able to make very fine lines, and also do some nice misting from a distance. I'll have to be more exacting with my thinner/paint ratios I think. I look forward to trying it with some real hobby paint. The best part was the clean-up! I just dumped the paint out of the cup, wiped it out, then filled it with Windex and just blasted it out the front of the airbrush until it ran clear. No disassembly of the brush. Way easier than my siphon-feed airbrush.
Squall67584

Post by Squall67584 »

It's a great brush. I usually break mine down after each painting; I've done it so often that I could probably do it blind folded. I wouldn't recommend that, though, since many of the parts are rather small.
"I never wanted to be anything else but an Engineer." - Montgomery Scott

My Star Wars "fanfic" story series. Sequel in Progress!
Remnants of the Force

Way of the Blaster
Dark Star

Post by Dark Star »

Found this:

http://www.hyatts.com/art/iwata-eclipse ... eed-K83456

Good deal or no. Do these things really go for over 200 bucks?

Actually I just found one (new) on Amazon for $119.95 with free shipping.
"I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury."
Maschinen Krueger

Post by Maschinen Krueger »

Beaveranger wrote:Two words.... Teflon Tape
Heck yeah! Worked for me.