Determining Plug Polarity of a Wall Wart

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Tchail

Determining Plug Polarity of a Wall Wart

Post by Tchail »

I just bought a 9V Wall-Wart for use with my lighted Enterprise-D model.

How do I determine the polarity of the plug?

I know that I need a multi-meter, but other than that...

Any help would be appreciated,

-Tchail
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
One AM

Post by One AM »

A really easy way would be to hook up 3 white 3.6v LEDs in series, then hook it up. If they light up, that's the way, and positive is positive, negative is negative. If they don't, reverse it. If they still don't, then you've got either bad LEDs or a bad power supply. You can do it without soldering using a breadboard and pressing the wires to the different parts of the plugs manually.
Creepy girl, won't you be mine?
I'll give you scrolls and fish and tinkertoys and wine...
tetsujin

Re: Determining Plug Polarity of a Wall Wart

Post by tetsujin »

Tchail wrote:I just bought a 9V Wall-Wart for use with my lighted Enterprise-D model.

How do I determine the polarity of the plug?
Put the meter in DC voltage mode (it is a DC 9V wall-wart, right?), plug in the adaptor and hook it up. If you get a negative reading, switch the terminals around.
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

One AM wrote:A really easy way would be to hook up 3 white 3.6v LEDs in series, then hook it up. If they light up, that's the way, and positive is positive, negative is negative. If they don't, reverse it. If they still don't, then you've got either bad LEDs or a bad power supply. You can do it without soldering using a breadboard and pressing the wires to the different parts of the plugs manually.
This worked perfectly.

Thanks for the tip!

Although I'm sure that I'll eventually buy a multimeter, this helps me to put off the purchase.

-Tchail
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy