Frugal airbrusher- Transparent paint(s) recipes anyone?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

deepcore

Frugal airbrusher- Transparent paint(s) recipes anyone?

Post by deepcore »

Hi
Any recipes for mixing up transparent paints using Michael's
store acrylics paints?
Thanks
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

How about food color and Future?
Squall67584

Post by Squall67584 »

Food color and future sounds like it would work. Long time ago, I used really thinned testor's enamel to put a thin transparent coat over a ship that had some panels painted ranging from white to dark gray. The overall effect looked like it was different shades of the transparent color. Back then I used a cheap single action brush, but haven't been able to replicate the effect with the acrylics I use now.
"I never wanted to be anything else but an Engineer." - Montgomery Scott

My Star Wars "fanfic" story series. Sequel in Progress!
Remnants of the Force

Way of the Blaster
eeun

Post by eeun »

Are those Michael's paints just regular craft acrylics? The pigments might be too large to make an effective transparent coat.

I've used Future with Tamiya acrylics as well as various inks.

What are you painting? If you're trying to tint clear parts, then I wouldn't use paint, no matter how thinned, and stick with inks or food colour.
World's Tallest Jawa!
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Future with India Inks. You might want to use something like the Liquitex airbrush media, though, Future is pretty thin. Be careful and you'll get great results, though.

Get real India inks, though, not calligraphic inks. You don't want any pigments, just dyes. Those little jars are expensive, but they go a long way.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

I agree with the above. I have mixed food coloring with future but you have to be patient and use multiple very light coats and build up to the translucency that you want. Haven't tried the inks but it sounds like a great idea.
Wug

Post by Wug »

Hi deepcore,

With all the colors of cheap acrylics available at Micheal's I'd be surprised if they don't sell cheap transparent paints.

Depending on what you're doing you might try mixing your paint with airbrush medium from Liquitex or the paint's manufacturer. I frequently mix Tamiya or Gunze acrylics with clear acrylic for shading. It probably won't work very well for tinting clear parts. You could test it on clear sprue.

Mike