Canopy trouble

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

leo limuaco

Canopy trouble

Post by leo limuaco »

I've never seen this before. I'm building the Imai Sky 1 from UFO (it need a lot of work) and there's a bubble in the canopy! It's about 3mm wide and I really don't know how to get rid of it. The bubble is along the front window and it is noticeable if you really look. I've considered drilling the bubble out and filling it with Future, but have never done this before. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? I'm trying to get this ready for the Nats in Phoenix. Thanks ..Leo
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Well, I have filled divets in vacuformed canopies with thickened Future. I leave a painting palette full of Future out overnight such that it's thick like pancake syrup. Don't stir it, or it will trap bubbles.

Then, apply to the canopy with a brush or similar implement, taking care not to trap lint in the goop. After it cures for a few days, polish it out. It was seamless and completely unnoticeable; I did have to polish it such that it blended seamlessly and it will pit as it cures. You will likely need several applications as it cures, dries and needs another application. In short, let it cure before adding another coat and don't be afraid to polish it once it at the desired thickness and cured. You're going to be polishing it anyway, so it's okay to test its rigidity with your hands. You want to make sure it's cured.

Just as with plastic, wet polish it and change water between grits. Remember to keep alcohol, ammonia and lacquer thinner away from it.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
leo limuaco

Post by leo limuaco »

Thanks. I see what you're getting at and will try it.