Starship Modeler Discussion Forums Forum Index Starship Modeler Discussion Forums
Discussion Forums for Imaginative Scale Modelers

Starship Modeler HomeHome   Starship Modeler StoreStore   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Casting and mold questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Starship Modeler Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captain shelley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Casting and mold questions Reply with quote

I have never made a mold for anything before. I saw a few starter kits at Hobby town and I figured to ask everyone on here what is a good beginner kit to get for making molds of parts? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
captain shelley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jagdson

Location: Hunched over my keyboard like a *pothoc* vulture, cursing my inability to properly budget my time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooth-On has basic A+B sets that're often found in art supply stores. I forget the part numbers. The rubber sets up decently and the resin is easier to use than measure-by-weight varieties. 'Bit pricey, though.

Trust me. I'm a priest.
Ziz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been learning the molding and casting process the past few months. Smooth-On's OOMOO rubber is a 1:1 mix ratio and comes in "fast" and "slow" versions. The slower one gives you more time to pour the rubber and, if you're using a vacuum chamber, get through the degassing process before the rubber starts to set. That said, I've been using the faster rubber with mixed results, considering I'm still learning. One other trick I learned for "naturally" degassing rubber is to pour it into your mold from 2 to 3 feet high. That will make it pour in a very thin stream, which naturally removes a lot of air bubbles from the rubber before it hits the mold.

As far as resins, check their SmoothCast 300 and 320 series. They're all 1:1 mix ratios too, again with different work times depending how fast or slow you operate.

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Starship Modeler Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Construction All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: