Trek Modeler 1/350 PL Enterprise Lighting Kit

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

Ace Airspeed

Trek Modeler 1/350 PL Enterprise Lighting Kit

Post by Ace Airspeed »

Despite the price, I'm seriously considering biting the bullet and ordering this kit...................in for a penny, in for a pound.... :)

Does anyone here have any experience with it?

http://www.trekmodeler.com/services/lig ... refit1.htm
z1pkicker

Post by z1pkicker »

I got the DIY kit - it's cheaper, has good instructions and I'm OK with a soldering iron.
There is a guy on here who has the pre-wired kit (Helipilot?) and he has some vids up on Youtube utilising the installation of the pre-made lighting kit.
All in all, it has everything you need and I would recommend it.

Cheers
Bruce
Ace Airspeed

Post by Ace Airspeed »

Bruce,

Do you have a link to kit you're using?
z1pkicker

Post by z1pkicker »

Sure, here you go...
http://www.trekmodeler.com/services/tm_ ... tpage1.htm
As mentioned, instead of wiring diagrams (which I can not comprehend if my life depended on it), the instructions use colour coded wires for the different lights.
The kit provides everything you need - wire, resistors, LEDs, blinker board, and instructions.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bruce
Delorean Man

Post by Delorean Man »

delete
Last edited by Delorean Man on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

I'm the guy with the $169 kit with all that heatshrink and a YouTube page.

www.youtube.com\MadmanLighting

My kit was originally made for the 350th scale NX-01 and you can see the results on my site: www.madmanlighting.com It will work for the Refit as well, with a few creative adaptation on the user's part. You just have to decide to use some LEDs in different spots, thats all.

I have 3 new kits now too: http://www.starshipmodeler.net/talk/vie ... highlight=

Thanks!
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Ace Airspeed

Post by Ace Airspeed »

Thanks for the replies, folks. I probably won't start my Enterprise until this fall, so I have time to talk my wife into letting me buy a lighting kit for it.
anselth

Post by anselth »

Delorean Man wrote:If you need it, I can find the link to the transformer I got as I remember finding one with those plug /output dimensions was a little difficult.
I could definitely use that link. I've done most of the prep work on mine, and have to test the lights before I start putting things together. I do agree that the light kit seems well worth the price.
Delorean Man

Post by Delorean Man »

delete
Last edited by Delorean Man on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ade2010

Post by Ade2010 »

anselth wrote:
Delorean Man wrote:If you need it, I can find the link to the transformer I got as I remember finding one with those plug /output dimensions was a little difficult.
I could definitely use that link. I've done most of the prep work on mine, and have to test the lights before I start putting things together. I do agree that the light kit seems well worth the price.
I got a transformer for this kit from Argos (UK). It has multiple sockets and voltage range. Does the job nicely and is only £9.99.
yoreh

Post by yoreh »

is it $279??? or are my eyes fooling me?
To my opinion, this is way way too much.
"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible."Arthur C. Clarke
Delorean Man

Post by Delorean Man »

delete
Last edited by Delorean Man on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoreh

Post by yoreh »

Delorean Man wrote:
Well according to your sig, looks like Trekmodeler found your limit. :P
Do you mock me "Mr Delorean"? you know what, now I understand why those kits cost so much - it's probably because suckers like you keeps on paying for them. well enjoy your $300 kit! I'm sure it will look amazing. :evil:
"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible."Arthur C. Clarke
Pengbuzz

Post by Pengbuzz »

yoreh wrote:
Delorean Man wrote:
Do you mock me "Mr Delorean"? you know what, now I understand why those kits cost so much - it's probably because suckers like you keeps on paying for them. well enjoy your $300 kit! I'm sure it will look amazing. :evil:
Whoah, there! No need to be calling people names here, unless you are joking.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

yoreh wrote:
Delorean Man wrote:
Yoreh, knock it off.
Abolish Alliteration
Delorean Man

Post by Delorean Man »

delete
Last edited by Delorean Man on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

Hey thanks for backing up us garage kit manufacturers!

There are those out there who feel that our kits are "way too expensive", until I explain what you just did. We spend our time, effort and money to create these kits and since we are in business, we like to make a profit. If we dont make a profit, well then these kits just wont exist then will they?

Thanks and have fun with Trek Modeler's kit. I honestly hope you enjoy it, from what I've heard, he's got a good product.

-John C.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
yoreh

Post by yoreh »

Delorean Man wrote:It amazes me how people can get so bent out of shape on an internet board. Especially a comment made out of jest...Hence the :P

I just realized where you are from...did I "Mess with the Zolan?"
I apologize. I'm sorry if i hurt you. you right there was no reason for me to react like this, I should have P.M. you before posting... I hope you can forgive me and let bygones be bygones...

Enjoy your kit.
and by the way, it is "Zohan", not "Zolan". :8)
Brian Kotula

Lighting kit

Post by Brian Kotula »

Hi after viewing Helipilot's YOU TUBE video's I just had to purchase TREK MODELER lighting kit. I know I'm in for a wait for the kit, but it looks fantastic and beyond my basic electrical skills other wise. I can't wait for the next Helipilot video! And someday I may even build the kit LOL!
Delorean Man

Post by Delorean Man »

delete
Last edited by Delorean Man on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mgoldcha

Got the TrekModeler kit as well - highly recommend it

Post by mgoldcha »

I also bought the TrekModeler lighting kit and am in the process of installing it. Another thing you should consider when purchasing the kit - you also get great customer service from TrekModeler. I have received same-day responses to my emails which is much appreciated when your build is stalled because you're unsure about how to proceed. I have also peppered poor Delorean Man with some emails after I saw his YouTube videos and his patience in answering my questions was much appreciated.

Everything already stated is true- the kit takes all of about six weeks to arrive but there is so much cutting, prepping and assembling to do in the meantime that you won't even notice the wait time. I don't know about you, but this kit will take me about 5 - 6 months to put together since I work a full time job and enjoy an active social life. I figure this kit is a tribute to a TV show that influenced me at an early age and has entertained and fascinated me for many years. What can I say - seeing a sexy, green, barely dressed belly dancer can have a huge effect on an 8 year old boy. :shock:

I want this kit to be as perfect as it can possibly be and, knowing my limitations in soldering and wiring LEDs, the TrekModeler kit will help me achieve that.

To sum up - the lighting kit is worth the price and I would recommend it anybody interested in making the PL Enterprise the best it can be.
Ade2010

Post by Ade2010 »

Another Trekmodeler lighting kit owner here..

There was a thread a wee while ago about someone complaining about the prices of the 'pre-fabbed' lighting kits.

One of the suppliers (Madman or Trekmodeler, i can't remember which) ) in response, posted the features of their kit (reverse polarity protested, surge protected, etc).

There really is a LOT more to these lighting kits than may be apparent at first. A significant amount of time and effort is put into desiging these systems, let alone constructing them.

I for one was perfectly happy to pay the price for the Trekmodeler kit, and I am fully satisfied that I have got my moneys worth.

Sure, I could have made it myself. First I would have had to teach myself basic electronics, plus basic soldering techniques. I would then have to buy all the parts, plus solder gun, multimeter, etc, etc.
ryoga

Post by ryoga »

Whoa .. teach me not to research this topic before posting.

Firstly, a big TQ to DeLorean man for introducing me to trekmodeller. Agreed this set is pricey, but it sounds worthwhile especially to electrical noobs like me. I'm the type that might end up getting burned from using a soldering iron :P

Some quick questions with regards to the pre-build ligthing set

1. Does it come with a base to hold the kit up?

2. What kind of power source does the set require?

3. If using batteries, where do you install the batteries (inside the kit or the base?)

4. I noticed the photon torpedo nozzles are lighted up as well. Does it have the "Fire Torpedo" effect?

Tried sending these questions to trek modeller via his website but everytime I click submit, it takes me to "Page Cannot Be Displayed" Error page.
My thoughts, reviews and reference materials at https://www.facebook.com/BrucesScaleModelingDomain
Delorean Man

Post by Delorean Man »

delete
Last edited by Delorean Man on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Delorean Man wrote: Good/bad news...I found the link, but its out of stock until the end of the month. I would go ahead and order it as the shipping was pretty fast and it was pretty hard for me to find one with the correct output/current draw/plug size dimensions.

http://powerstream.com/ac-2809.htm

You need the PST-AC2809-21...it's max current draw is higher than needed, but notice trekmodeler says "at least 1100mah"...at least I think it was 1100, but this will work fine, especially if you intend on adding more leds like I did or adding lights to your base/stand.
I'm going to add this to the sticky since its a good source of regulated power supplies. and has been verified in at least one model application.
<a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/2_wheresaneatpart.jpg" target="_Sparky">Is this plastic thingy on the counter a neat part?</a> <a href="http://www.kc6sye.com/1_casting_inprogress.jpg" target="_Sparky">Let's cast it.</a>
bradb667

Post by bradb667 »

Good/bad news...I found the link, but its out of stock until the end of the month. I would go ahead and order it as the shipping was pretty fast and it was pretty hard for me to find one with the correct output/current draw/plug size dimensions
Not to be difficult, but people... please forget the whole "regulated power supply" thing. Give it up. You can spend $5 and put together something that will allow you to use any $1 wall wart from goodwill.

Something like http://www.electronics-lab.com/blog/?p=1957

If you need more details or want more info, let me know.

Brad.
Delorean Man

Post by Delorean Man »

delete
ryoga

Post by ryoga »

Hi Delorean Man .. how does this USD25 power supply look like? Are they batteries? (I'm hoping it is cause my country uses 240V)?
My thoughts, reviews and reference materials at https://www.facebook.com/BrucesScaleModelingDomain
Delorean Man

Post by Delorean Man »

delete
Last edited by Delorean Man on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earnie

thank you helipilot for the introduction to this site

Post by earnie »

i have had my polar lights enterprise in the box for over a year
and about 2 months ago i found the youtube vids that helipilot put together and had to get started on mine
i unfortunatly have the earlier without the aztek decals, but i am not to concerned,as i bought the aztek dummy templates,
as for the trekmodeler pre done lighting kit i just got mine last saturday
and i am very impressed with what i see,
i am an aircraft mechanic by trade, and let me tell you that the level of thought and planning that goes into this kit is very impressive,
trekmodeler has done all of the homework for you
it would take me at least 6 months of schematic drawings, figuring out all of the voltage drop,imedance ,and what pc chips to use,then go out and buy all of this stuff and put it together
as for the runway light sequencing flasher i bought the one that helipilot used in his on you tube , and one from bakatronics.com, after the first one showed up,
the one from bakatronics will fit in perfectly in the box just aft of the arboretum as if it were made to occupy that spot, thanks again