Gloss coating decals - cracking

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

generalFROSTY

Gloss coating decals - cracking

Post by generalFROSTY »

Been working on my first real attempt at model building with the 18" classic E.
After all my hard work, finally on to the decal stage. Started with coating the model with several thin coats of Mr. brand gloss. After tedious application of decals, I waited for them to dry, then hit one side of the ship again with the gloss to blend them in - with the intention of using a flat clear later to finish it all up.
To my shock, the decals started to get a cracked look. I am very disapointed by this but have read and been told to go over decals with clear gloss so I don't understand why this happens.
I haven't yet hit the other side of the model with the gloss so I still have time to salvage at least half of the look.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Ace Airspeed

Post by Ace Airspeed »

I've never had this happen with a gloss over decals.

Was the initial gloss coat nice and smooth?

Did you use a decal solvent?

I always use Micro Sol. It lays the decals right down to the clear coated plastic.............no bubbles or channels possible if done right.
generalFROSTY

Post by generalFROSTY »

I may have sprayed the clearcoat too early. I did not let it dry for 24 hours...actually, only an hour - but at least it was only a few parts of the ship and not the whole thing.
I have been testing out the Microsol and Mircroset - not sure how to use them yet, any links to good tutorials?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

you'll find descriptions of the setting solutions in the Decals thread in the finishing forum.

A somewhat outdated decal primer I wrote a few years ago:
http://www.starshipmodeler.info/wfest2k ... chlist.doc

If that doesn't work, find the show handouts here:
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/events/wfest2k3.htm
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I'm a little confused on what was used.

You said "Mr. brand gloss," are you talking about the "Mr. Color" brand from GSI/Creos/Gunze?

Was it an acrylic or lacquer?

How many coats?

How long did you wait between the last coat and the start of decaling?

Did you wait 1 hour after you applied the last decal or 1 hour after you applied the last coat of clear?

K