WTF? Tamiya tape strips paint - to the bare plastic!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

simster

WTF? Tamiya tape strips paint - to the bare plastic!

Post by simster »

What did I do wrong or forget to do ?

Moebius models Invisible Man - using MM acryls - painted table - masked off the imprinted "papers" to paint them white, went to reposition a piece of masking (prior to painting) and it pulled up all the paint unnderneath.

Pulled up the rest of the masking - I now have a darn near pristine hunk of plastic - nice thing is that the lower portions of the "paper" have brown in them, so should make that look better, but ???

I've never had Tamiya tape pull paint up like this.
karim

Post by karim »

Did you prime? Did you wash the model prior to priming?
wraith1701

Post by wraith1701 »

karim wrote:Did you prime? Did you wash the model prior to priming?
^This. Plus, I usually seal with a thin layer of semi gloss after the initial layer cures before masking & adding another layer.
-Eric
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I'd suggest improper surface prep. Primer helps but any skin oils or mold release will stop the paint from adhering properly, enabling the masking material to pull up the tape.

I have little personal experience with Testors Acryl but what little I have always found it a touch softer (i.e. didn't stick as well) than Tamiya or Gunze.
Abolish Alliteration
Pengbuzz

Post by Pengbuzz »

On the other hand: if it does strip to the bare plastic, then we have a new way to refurbish old models without the mess of paint solvents! :lol:
simster

Post by simster »

karim wrote:Did you prime? Did you wash the model prior to priming?
I did not Prime - I've taken to not doing as much priming here on Figure type kits -

I did not wash the model - I've never washed a model and I've never had this issue befreo - but this is also the first Moebius kti I've built.

Its also the first 'figure' kit (Ive done a few by Polar lights prior to this one) that I had an area that I felt I needed to mask -

so - perhaps I've just gotten lucky in the past - or there is something different about Moebius models that require the washing/priming.

Its an interesting lesson to learn -

assuming "not washing" was the real culprit (and I dont doubt it) - and this seems like a really basic question - how do you 'wash' a model? dunk in water? dunk in soapy water? (How much soap, what kind?)
Pengbuzz

Post by Pengbuzz »

For a plastic kit, use warm (not hot or it can warp parts) water and regular dish detergent, in a plastic tub (I don't use the sink; too easy to lose parts down the drain). I usually let it soak in warm soapy water for about 5-10 minutes to make sure it gets all the mold release off, then I rise the parts in lukewarm water. You'll know they are clean when the plastic "squeaks". Wipe them parts down with a tack-free rag and let air dry.
Ace Airspeed

Post by Ace Airspeed »

simster wrote:I did not Prime - I've taken to not doing as much priming here on Figure type kits -

I did not wash the model - I've never washed a model and I've never had this issue befreo - but this is also the first Moebius kti I've built.
Therein lies the rub...................................

I always prime acrylics - gives them something to stick to.

I don't wash the model in detergent like some guys do, but I clean all surfaces to be painted with 70% isopropyl alcohol immediately prior to painting.
Pengbuzz

Post by Pengbuzz »

Ace Airspeed wrote:
simster wrote:I did not Prime - I've taken to not doing as much priming here on Figure type kits -

Therein lies the rub...................................

I always prime acrylics - gives them something to stick to.

I don't wash the model in detergent like some guys do, but I clean all surfaces to be painted with 70% isopropyl alcohol immediately prior to painting.
That also works, as alcohol removes oil as well. The point is to present as clean a surface as possible without oils or anything else inhibiting paint adhesion.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Moebious models plastic and the mold release they use seems 'different'.....not bad...but different. Almost every kit I have from Moebious has a very slick surface from both the release and the way they polish the molds. A good cleaning and primer will go a long way in getting paint adhesion. Tamiya tape has never done that for me......
simster

Post by simster »

Thanks all - lesson learned - I appreciate the tips to hopefully prevent this in the future.