What are u guys using to cut thick sheet styrene?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Dark Star

What are u guys using to cut thick sheet styrene?

Post by Dark Star »

How do you guys get those complex and perfect shapes using thick sheet styrene? I mean sheets more than 1 mm thick, I was trying to cut 2 mm thick sheets using a new X-acto knife and almost took my fingers off several times and broke a blade. I went slowely so I'm not rushing.

It took forever just to make small cuts. Are there other methods or tools you guys are using that I don't know about? Please share before I cut my hand off! Thanks!
"I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury."
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Scribe & pop.

Cut through a little & then bend the sheet to pop the cut.
Abolish Alliteration
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Just remember though, the break with scribe and snap isn't always clean. The snapped edge may have a slant to it. So, cut over sizes by just a little. Scribe, snap, and sand the edge back to the real dimension you want. It's just that easy.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

MEthods the others have mentioned and a sturdy pair of scissors for curved areas.

For perfect circles, I use an Olfa circle Cutter. Erin (Das Phule) turned me on to this. Use it backwards to scribe 90-percent of the way through and then cut the last little bit with the blade.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kolschey
Location: What? You mean the chip in my head isn't working?!? Don't tell me you have to drill another hole..

Post by Kolschey »

For straight edges, I use a dedicated plastic cutter that as specifically designed for cutting plexi etc.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/P-800-Plastic-Lam ... B000BNLIKW

For .020 styrene etc, a #11 Exacto blade works, but for thicker stock, I find that you need a very different blade profile.
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I love this kind of plastic cutter:
http://www.amazon.com/Hyde-45730-Plasti ... 687&sr=1-5
Effective and easy easy to use. Makes a great scribing tool too!
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Score and snap......works great. A little clean up and you are ready.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

I prefer my styrene scoring blades without a bevel, so my cuts are straight-sided. An X-Acto blade mounted the other way on the handle (with the tip in the holder and the 'butt' sticking out does the trick. The thicker the plastic, though, the thicker the blade I use.

First I do a rough shape cut, then I go in for indentations and curves (mostly with files and sanding sticks.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Dark Star

Post by Dark Star »

Question for you guys who have or use some similar to this small table saw:

http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-top- ... 42307.html

Does it just cut short straight lines or can you cut curves with this thing? It looks like the handle with the blade saw just lifts up and down (like a waffle iron) so cutting fine detail or any curvatures would be a no go on this? Would one be able to slowly feed the sheets into this thing as the blade spins or no?

I need to cut long curved pieces (at least 9" to 10") out of a thick sheet of sheet styrene. If all this does is cut as you drop the hadle, it's going to be a PITA and difficult to keep any of the lines straight if I have to keep pulling out the styrene sheet and refitting it to cut!

Help!
"I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury."
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

It's just a chop saw... as in it chops things into smaller pieces.
Abolish Alliteration
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Many small straight cuts can make a rough curved shape. Then filing and sanding can smooth out the curve.

Slow? Yes.

But it works for thick stock.
Where there's a Will....there's Probate.
Treadhead

Post by Treadhead »

Johnnycrash wrote:Just remember though, the break with scribe and snap isn't always clean. The snapped edge may have a slant to it. So, cut over sizes by just a little. Scribe, snap, and sand the edge back to the real dimension you want. It's just that easy.
Which is exactly what I do. Took me awhile to figure it all out though.
“Show me your hands. Do they have scars from giving? Show me your feet. Are they wounded in service? Show me your heart. Have you left a place for divine love?”

Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

I learned many years ago to draw two lines one for finish and one for cut (about 1/16th from the finish). When I worked for Kenner we used to scribe the finished line with an exacto and used a stump (think fabric bag with ground black pastel) to highlight the line. For curved I always used a band saw when applicable. I also use a jeweler's saw for my complicated cuts.

For precision work that is not over-sized I use my milling machine.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

i use this baby!! :shock: :shock: :D :D :evillaugh:

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... 001279.jpg

only works for straight cuts though. got it from a school rummage sale.
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/