AMT/ERTL USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A Project

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Pengbuzz

Post by Pengbuzz »

You know: too bad Round2 hasn't considered releasing a refit in the same scale as the 1/537, but with the 1/350 accuracy.
crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

Round 2 said that the tooling for the 1/537 refit was basically ruined when the paneling was added. If they re-release the 1/537 refit it will most likely be the version with the paneling. It would be too costly to fix it. I would like to see a new tool made, basically a scaled down version of the 1/350 like they did with the 1/1000. 1/537 or something of a similar scale is a great size for the refit, not too big and not too small.
Pengbuzz

Post by Pengbuzz »

crowe-t wrote:Round 2 said that the tooling for the 1/537 refit was basically ruined when the paneling was added. If they re-release the 1/537 refit it will most likely be the version with the paneling. It would be too costly to fix it. I would like to see a new tool made, basically a scaled down version of the 1/350 like they did with the 1/1000. 1/537 or something of a similar scale is a great size for the refit, not too big and not too small.
That's what I mean: a new tooling for it. The old 1/537 has WAY too many issues to it to correct.
crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

Pengbuzz wrote:
crowe-t wrote:Round 2 said that the tooling for the 1/537 refit was basically ruined when the paneling was added. If they re-release the 1/537 refit it will most likely be the version with the paneling. It would be too costly to fix it. I would like to see a new tool made, basically a scaled down version of the 1/350 like they did with the 1/1000. 1/537 or something of a similar scale is a great size for the refit, not too big and not too small.
That's what I mean: a new tooling for it. The old 1/537 has WAY too many issues to it to correct.
I agree! I'm currently working on an AMT refit and every parts needs fixing. Here are a few pictures. I'll be posting a new thread soon with all the work so far. I had a thread going but I took some time off this project and the thread went away.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa23 ... re256A.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa23 ... re248A.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa23 ... G_9592.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa23 ... G_8385.jpg
Pengbuzz

Post by Pengbuzz »

Looks good so far. I like what you did witht he bottom of the primary hull.

Yeah, I've built so many of the 1/537, towards the end i would just toss the instructions and go from memory. So you can imagine what a dream it was when I built a refit that I needed instructions for! Even though ti's the same ship, it's a whole new experience, that's how different the two are.
crowe-t

Post by crowe-t »

Pengbuzz wrote:Looks good so far. I like what you did witht he bottom of the primary hull.

Yeah, I've built so many of the 1/537, towards the end i would just toss the instructions and go from memory. So you can imagine what a dream it was when I built a refit that I needed instructions for! Even though ti's the same ship, it's a whole new experience, that's how different the two are.
Thanks for the compliment! I built up the bottom of the primary hull and had to fill and re-scribe all the hatches. I'm just trying to get a bit more work done before I start another WIP thread.

I agree the 1/537 AMT is a whole different animal from the Polar Lights kit. Most of the parts go together in a different way. I have a PL 1/350 refit that I haven't started yet but I opened it and was overwhelmed by the amount of parts. However the parts are better engineered then the old AMT/ERTL kits.