Masking with several layers of paint?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

generalFROSTY

Masking with several layers of paint?

Post by generalFROSTY »

I'm beginning work on my 1/350 refit, and although major paintwork is still months down the road, I wanted to get a heads up on a masking concern.
I still havent decided if I should use liquid mask or the traditional method to mask off all the tiny windows on the kit, but was wondering how many layers of primer/paint can be applied over a masked area?
I know a lot of that depends on how thick you lay the paint on - in the case of this kit, I will be starting with a grey primer, maybe a white base, then the pearl coat, then the gloss coat....
I did not want to have to REmask all those windows and other areas for each application unless it is a method the pros would use.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

uhm.... as many as you want?
Abolish Alliteration
walter

Post by walter »

start with a white primer and it can be your white base allso.
Ziz

Post by Ziz »

What I think he's asking is how many layers of paint can a given masking method tolerate before it gets buried to the point where you can't locate them to take them off.
Modular
Models

Build your fleet
YOUR way.

http://www.modular-models.com
----------------------------------------------------------
"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Alan Greenspan

Post by Kylwell »

Ah.... well the deepest I've ever had to go is about 18 coats.
Abolish Alliteration
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

The more coats you get on the tape the more likely you'll peel off some when you lift the tape. If you lightly score the paint with a sharp knife along the edge of the tape before you lift you can more or less do as many coats as you like.

The other thing to watch is the length of time masking stays on a model. The longer the tape is there, the better the bond with the bottom coat - so when you lift the tape it can take the bottom coat with it. Of course, if you let the bottom coat really cure before you mask then this will be less of a problem.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

More the reason to use Tamiya tape. Ter's gone 10 months IIRC with Tamiya tape on a model with no pull-ups.
Abolish Alliteration
generalFROSTY

Post by generalFROSTY »

seam-filler wrote:The more coats you get on the tape the more likely you'll peel off some when you lift the tape. If you lightly score the paint with a sharp knife along the edge of the tape before you lift you can more or less do as many coats as you like.

The other thing to watch is the length of time masking stays on a model. The longer the tape is there, the better the bond with the bottom coat - so when you lift the tape it can take the bottom coat with it. Of course, if you let the bottom coat really cure before you mask then this will be less of a problem.
This answered my question, thank you!
So I guess I'v been practicing with standard blue painters tape. If anyone has any links to some pro-modeling masking tape, throw them up!
Thanks again!
www.jimmy2step.blogspot.com
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/shop/ind ... rentCat=70

I wouldn't call it pro anything, just damned good masking tape for modelers.
Abolish Alliteration
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

I can vouch for Tamiya tape. It's the best stuff for model masking I've ever seen and I've beem modeling for over 30 years.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
generalFROSTY

Post by generalFROSTY »

Would it be necessary to buy a stock in all sizes? I know usage depends on need, but I've just been experimenting with standard blue painters tape.
It seems to me, I should just buy the smalles mm available of the Tamiya tape - for the edge of the painting area, then add standard blue painters tape for the bulk.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
If it helps, I am currently building the original series E 18" AMT re-issue as a warm-up for my 1/350 Refit build....
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The widest tape is a little different make than the narrower stuff. Thinner but less able to take a curve. After spending time cutting strips to size I gave up and just have all the widths.

And then there's Parafilm M....
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Kylwell wrote:More the reason to use Tamiya tape. Ter's gone 10 months IIRC with Tamiya tape on a model with no pull-ups.
longer, I think...

A good rule I observe is putting a layer of Future on the model between coats if I need to do serious masking. Often I'll buff the paint a bit before applying Future, though. That seal coat really helps protect the paint below from scratching and lifting.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
generalFROSTY

Post by generalFROSTY »

I will likely be ordering all the sizes sometime this week but want to check the hobby shop first and see what they have in stock. They carry a lot of Tamiya products so they may have what I need before I go ordering online.
Thanks for the help.