Airbrush priming

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Glorfindel

Airbrush priming

Post by Glorfindel »

I'm new to using an airbrush and was wondering if anyone has primed a model using theirs. If so, what brand primer would you recommend? I've sprayed Krylon primer in the past but generally get one good use out of the can. By the time I get to prime a second model, say a week later for arguments sake, the nozzles always act up and clog. I eventually end up disposing the can.
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
ajmadison

Post by ajmadison »

Depends upon the paint scheme. For Star Trek models, read, all white finish, I primer with Model Master Silver paint. For models where the finish is virtually the same as primer, that is a gray color, I straight to using the finish color.
TREKKRIFFIC

Re: Airbrush priming

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

Glorfindel wrote:I've sprayed Krylon primer in the past but generally get one good use out of the can. By the time I get to prime a second model, say a week later for arguments sake, the nozzles always act up and clog. I eventually end up disposing the can.
Regarding the rattle can tip clogging up, are you holding the can upside down and pressing the tip until no primer sprays out and all you get is air? That should clear the tip so no paint residue remains to dry and clog it.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Mr. Surfacer 1200 thinned with some Mr. Color Leveling Thinner.
Abolish Alliteration
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

Floquil gray primer is great for airbrushing; thinned with a bit of lacquer thinner it sprays well and covers in a few thin coats.
Glorfindel

Post by Glorfindel »

Thanks for the tips guys. I've done the hold the can upside down and blast out the nozzle trick before, but sometimes the damn things don't come clean. I thought of sticking a pin into the opening of the nozzle then stopped, thinking of some cartoon character that blasts gun fire into his face, and decided to just toss the can. Daffy duck, right?
Buck Laughlin: [after Beatrice the dog jumps up on the show judge] He went for her like she's made outta ham.
~Best in Show, 2000
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

Rabbit season! Duck season!
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

You can also decant the stuff into a jar and use that in your AB.

If you don't know what that is, basically, you let the primer sit in some warm water to help make the primer a bit more fluid; then you spray it thru a straw into another container.... a glass jar.

Eveery now and then, you have to return the can to the warm water to keep the primer a bit more fluid.

I have been meaning to try it, but like you said... Daffy Duck.

BUT, there is a link somewhere here (in this forum) to a vid showing how this done.
"Things fall apart... It's Scientific" Talking Heads
Ace Airspeed

Post by Ace Airspeed »

ajmadison wrote:For Star Trek models, read, all white finish, I primer with Model Master Silver paint.
I'm up for learning new tricks......................

What's the advantage of a silver primer for white finishes?