Pressure Pots

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Woody

Pressure Pots

Post by Woody »

What size do most people use? I'm going to start casting quite a bit next year and would like to get a nice pot but I'm wondering if 2.5 gal is big enough. Source suggestions?
" I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail
fast; for I intend to go in harm's way." --John Paul Jones
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

I suppose the obvious answer is to use a pot big enough to hold the largest mold you need to pressurize. For me so far, the 2.5gal pots have been plenty big, but my stuff tends to be small. Look here for some ideas about sizes and costs:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/114/2084

Google is your friend, too. Sometimes the variations in dimensions between different manufacturers' 2.5gal pots is enough to make a difference for your application.

Used pots come up on EBay regularly, so sometimes you can get lucky there.

While we're talking about pressure pots, do you think I could clean the resin drips out of the inside of my pots by putting a firecracker in there and slamming the lid down? :twisted:
Woody

Post by Woody »

Thanks for the reply. I want to mount two pots to a casting bench so I want to be sure I chose the right size. I'm thinking 5 or 10 gal might be best.
Antenociti

Post by Antenociti »

five 2.5 gallon pots and two 10 gallon pots :D

though to be fair we rarely use the big pots for anything actually that big, the 2.5 gallon pots do most of the real work.

big pots were picked up second hand on ebay for a pittance from a factory closure/repossession company who clear stuff on ebay. took three months waiting to get them but very well worth it.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I think I'll start with a pair of 2.5 gal pots. On a similar note my vacuum pump arrived yesterday. :D Any brand preferences on pressure pots?
Antenociti

Post by Antenociti »

i imported mine from Harbour Freight in the USA - they had a special offer on so there were only about $30USD or something equally mad (£275.00 ~ $450USD I was quoted in the UK for the same size pot).

Even after shipping and VAT and import duties they were massively cheaper than anything in the UK.

There is an article on the site here somewhere that also discusses them and advises making anew seal for the lid - I totally agree. The one that comes with them is a very hard rubber and you cant always get a perfect seal so you lose pressure overnight. I replaced mine with some soft silicone and they stay sealed perfectly. I think mine are over 2 years now without any problems whatsoever, haven't even needed to replace the (replaced) seals and we cast atleast 5 days a week and 4-7 times a day in them.

The ..erm.. "screws" (the thingies you tighten them up with) did get very stiff after a while - i removed them and found a lot of very fine steel shaved off in the thread, dusted that off and added some WD40 oil and they are easy and smooth to tighten now.
Shizman

Post by Shizman »

What is the difference between getting a pot from Harbor Freight and one that's specially made for casting, such as ones from Smooth-On? The prices are vastly different.

Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=66074

Smooth-On:
http://www.sculpturesupply.com/detail.php?id=252415

I'm considering importing the Harbor Freight one since it'll be cheaper, even after shipping and any duty that's added.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Joseph Osborn wrote:While we're talking about pressure pots, do you think I could clean the resin drips out of the inside of my pots by putting a firecracker in there and slamming the lid down? :twisted:
Sure! I could use the extra work while you regenerate arms. :D
Shizman wrote:What is the difference between getting a pot from Harbor Freight and one that's specially made for casting, such as ones from Smooth-On? The prices are vastly different.
Other than style (like bigger wing nuts) nothing. I've been using the Harbor Freight ones almost every night for 2+ years now, and they are still going strong.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Shizman

Post by Shizman »

Other than style (like bigger wing nuts) nothing. I've been using the Harbor Freight ones almost every night for 2+ years now, and they are still going strong.
Good to know. I'm in the market for one and want to make sure I get something that's going to work well. So 40 psi should do the trick?

Anyone know of a place in Canada that sells these pressure pots? I'd rather not import it and deal with the duty if possible.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Shizman wrote: So 40 psi should do the trick?
I usually run around 45psi.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Shizman wrote:Anyone know of a place in Canada that sells these pressure pots? I'd rather not import it and deal with the duty if possible.
Importing (with duty and taxes) is still cheaper than getting one in Canada. I just picked up a 10 gallon pot for $100.00 from the US. The exact same pot here in Canada can't be had for less then $600.00. So, even with 100% duty/taxes, AND $100.00 shipping... It's a bargain. :) But, if you can find a border guy to bring it across for you, the shipping (for mine at least), will be about $50.00, and no taxes/duty (at best), or only the tax of 13%. So...
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Shizman

Post by Shizman »

Johnny, which pot did you choose and where did you get it?
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Sorry. It was a 5 gallon, not 10. Too many numbers in my head. GET OUT!! GET OUT!!! :shock: :shock:

What?? Yeah, I'm feeling better now, thank you. :oops:

This is the pot I got - 5 Gallon Pressure Paint Tank
John Fleming
Shizman

Post by Shizman »

Johnnycrash wrote:Sorry. It was a 5 gallon, not 10. Too many numbers in my head. GET OUT!! GET OUT!!! :shock: :shock:

What?? Yeah, I'm feeling better now, thank you. :oops:

This is the pot I got - 5 Gallon Pressure Paint Tank
Cool, that's the exact one I'm about to order. I just wanted to know that others have had success using it.

Thanks everyone!
Shizman

Post by Shizman »

Any preference for a good compressor to power the pot? I want something reliable. What do you guys use?
Shizman

Post by Shizman »

Ok hopefully this will get a reply.

Anyone know where I can get air line components such as adaptors, inline stop valves, etc, preferably in Canada?
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Get the biggest, most powerful one you can afford. Really. Since you are a Canuckian, Canadian Tire has sales all the time. Look for something in the 3.5 SCFM @ 40psi (casting pressure) or greater. They should have all the other bits you will need as well. AND, if you don't have one near you, they do mail order. This is the compressor that I am running now.
John Fleming
Shizman

Post by Shizman »

Ya, i was looking at something similar at Home Depot.

What about all the connectors to change this from a painting pressure pot into a simple pot? Where did you get your connectors to do this (e.g. stop valves, adaptors, etc)?
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

I got all my bits at an auto/hardware supply store. Only because they were closer, and I needed to make several trips as I figured it all out. :) But CT should have all the bits.
John Fleming