aaarrrrggghhhhh - what to do ?`

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

simster

aaarrrrggghhhhh - what to do ?`

Post by simster »

ok - so I was finishing my Voyager kit - I had glossed with Testors Spray Gloss coat - did my decals and other touches - then went to dull coat with Testor's spray DullCoat.

I now have some texturing in many of the larger decals -

Is there anything that can be done to get them to smooth out again?

This really aaarrrggggervates me.
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Strip the Dull-coat off, get new decals (the decals will come off with the Dull-coat)

After re-doing the decals, Gloss-coat with the same stuff you put under the decals - THEN dull-coat
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
simster

Post by simster »

USS Atlantis wrote:Strip the Dull-coat off, get new decals (the decals will come off with the Dull-coat)

After re-doing the decals, Gloss-coat with the same stuff you put under the decals - THEN dull-coat
Thats just it - since I undercoated with Testors Gloss coat, and overcoated with Testors Dull Coat (cans #1281 and 1280 respectively) I thought I was 'using the same stuff' albeit in a different shine.

How does one strip the dull coat without killing all the underlying paint as well?

I may just have to live with this.
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

simster wrote:
USS Atlantis wrote:Strip the Dull-coat off, get new decals (the decals will come off with the Dull-coat)

Thats just it - since I undercoated with Testors Gloss coat, and overcoated with Testors Dull Coat (cans #1281 and 1280 respectively) I thought I was 'using the same stuff' albeit in a different shine.
While the formulas are similar, there are enough differences that the Dull-coat is what textured your decals - the rule of thumb is "gloss-coat, decal, gloss-coat, top coat" - that insures the decals aren't lifted or textured by anything
simster wrote:How does one strip the dull coat without killing all the underlying paint as well?

I may just have to live with this.

May just have to - unless you want to spend hoards of time carefully removing the dull-coat with thinner and q-tips

All the other ways of removing paint get ALL the layers - so you'd start with an un-painted model again
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
simster

Post by simster »

so I hit it with a good swabbing of MicroSol - it seems to have settled down to the 'almost not noticable unless you're looking' stage -

I'll remember the steps better the next time... thanks!