Anyone use Easy Cast Clear Casting Opoxy?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

No_6

Anyone use Easy Cast Clear Casting Opoxy?

Post by No_6 »

I was thinking about giving this stuff a shot, as a relatively inexpensive, supposedly low odor, low-volume casting/filling (windows) medium. So if anyone has had experience with this stuff, I'd be highly appreciative.

I was also thinking of using their Envirotex lite, which is supposed to be 'runnier' than Devcon 5 minute, a little softer when fully cured, but water clear and more resistant to UV yellowing.

I've been using Devcon 5 minute because it sands pretty well and dries close to water clear (and takes pigmentation well)... but I've yet to be able to get the bubbles out of the stuff, which is a problem when filling windows. Sanding obfuscates the bubbles well, but I'd rather not have them to begin with.
I am not a number.
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

My experience with the Easy Cast Clear Epoxy is that it never fully hardens and remains tacky and/or rubbery. Even heating the castings does not harden them.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

I agree, absolute rubbish.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
No_6

Post by No_6 »

Ah, thanks. So stop being a cheap-@ss and buy the Smooth-on Crystal Clear 202, then? :)
I am not a number.
JadedMonk

Post by JadedMonk »

Agreed. Whatever savings you might find in the initial purchase price will, inevitably, be lost in time, clean up, more materials, damaged parts, and sanity.

JM
raser13
Location: second star to the left and straight on till mourning. other wise known as st. louis,mo

Post by raser13 »

i've also used the easy cast clear stuff, and as stated above it never hardens it just sets up like a clear rubber. what's the smooth on like? i still want to venture into the clear casting realm but all the stuff on the shelves at hobby lobby and such do just like the easy cast. oh, and where do you get the right stuff? does it harden like clear plastic?
i love it when a plan comes together
http://s1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/raser13/
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

You get the Crystal Clear resin from any Smooth-On distributor. It feels almost exactly like the very best clear styrene parts from a kit when it's fully cured. It's sort of nasty stuff, so you have to take the precautions listed in the instructions to avoid sensitization. Alumilite also sells a clear resin that I've heard works very well but I've never used it myself.
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

Joseph Osborn wrote:Alumilite also sells a clear resin that I've heard works very well but I've never used it myself.
The Alumilite clear resin produces non-sticky, water clear parts, but it has two serious issues:

1 - it sets in about a minute, so you have to degas & pour it in that time.
2 - You need to heat the mold, which will speed up the cure time, making it harder to degas in time.
Shizman

Post by Shizman »

Joseph Osborn wrote:You get the Crystal Clear resin from any Smooth-On distributor. It feels almost exactly like the very best clear styrene parts from a kit when it's fully cured. It's sort of nasty stuff, so you have to take the precautions listed in the instructions to avoid sensitization. Alumilite also sells a clear resin that I've heard works very well but I've never used it myself.
What's sensitization?
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Sensitization is the development, over time, of an allergic reaction to a chemical. The chemical may cause a mild response on the first few exposures but, as the allergy develops, the response becomes worse with subsequent exposures
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
treker2557

Post by treker2557 »

Proper ventilation and protection is a must with any resin products but especially those with strong orders or any harmful chemicals that use.