Anyone use beading wire?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

No_6

Anyone use beading wire?

Post by No_6 »

I was thinking of buying some 28-30 gauge beading wire. I like the size, you can find it nylon coated, and it's flexible and easy to wrap. But with my luck, I'm worried that it will cause the model to burst into flames. So anyone with any experience with this stuff?
I am not a number.
Jagdson
Location: Hunched over my keyboard like a *pothoc* vulture, cursing my inability to properly budget my time.

Post by Jagdson »

I glanced at the title and thought it was "beheading wire."

Now that I'm in the thread, though, why would the wire cause a model to burst into flames? Are you planning to run current through it?
Science created airplanes and skyscrapers, but it took faith to bring them together.

Trust me. I'm a priest.
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Re: Anyone use beading wire?

Post by USS Atlantis »

No_6 wrote:I was thinking of buying some 28-30 gauge beading wire. I like the size, you can find it nylon coated, and it's flexible and easy to wrap. But with my luck, I'm worried that it will cause the model to burst into flames. So anyone with any experience with this stuff?
If I remember correctly, beading wire is steel, which has a much lower carry capacity than copper

For stuff the same diameter and made for lighting - get some Wire-Wrap - $7 for 100' is cheap to insure that you get every watt transmitted

As far as the fire danger - just don't run more than 500ma down each wire and you'll be fine
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

I use beading wire for igniters in flashpots. It is a mild steel with high resistance so it tends to heat up. Stick with wire-wrap wire as suggested.
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

If you need something thin, Mouser has Alpha Wire Company 32g 7/40 multistrand wire in various colors. Great for most our low wattage operations.
Abolish Alliteration
No_6

Post by No_6 »

Thanks for the tips, guys! I just ordered 200' of 30 gauge wire wrap.
I am not a number.