Paint Chips

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

mbuk77

Paint Chips

Post by mbuk77 »

I am currently building a Fine Molds Snowspeeder if and wanted to know of an effective paint chipping technique.

I'm a bit of a noob, so want something relatively foolproof!

I was considering hand painting the chips but not sure if they will look obviously painted.

Any advice please.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

One way is to apply silver Rub'n'Buf (available at art stores or Hobbycraft) on the primed model. Then spray your top coats. Before the paint hardens (when it is touch-dry), get some sellotape and lightly dab it on the area. Enamel & acrylic paints do not stick well to Rub'n'Buf (a metallic pigment paste that comes in a tube or jar) so some of the paint comes away in chips.

Another way... Prime the model. Spray on the silver/aluminium colour. While this is still wet, sprinkle on a light dusting of Christmas Sparkle. Apply your top coats and when dry, rub a tooth brush over the are to lift off the sparkle. The sparkle will act as a mask and wil; show the metallic finish underneath.

Above all, experiment first.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Salt weathering is the most effective I've used - it does get tricky when you have to mask for lots of colors, though.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Squall67584

Post by Squall67584 »

I've seen a few use rubber cement applied with a sponge, then after letting the paint dry, just rub it off. Obviously put silver or something underneath the primary coat.
"I never wanted to be anything else but an Engineer." - Montgomery Scott

My Star Wars "fanfic" story series. Sequel in Progress!
Remnants of the Force

Way of the Blaster
Sluis Van Shipyards

Post by Sluis Van Shipyards »

TER-OR wrote:Salt weathering is the most effective I've used - it does get tricky when you have to mask for lots of colors, though.

Yes that works very good. Just remember to use the appropriate sized grains of salt for the scale. Pretzel salt weathering would look odd on a 1/72 scale model.

I've seen people do awesome chipping with a silver pen/pencil too.