Need color mixing help to make this color

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

BERT aka MODEL MAKER

Need color mixing help to make this color

Post by BERT aka MODEL MAKER »

:) :)I am trying to find the right colors to make the orange color shown in the picture of the command module top where the parachutes are stored. i have tried yello with orange, red with you name it. i just cannot find the right color combination, anyone that can help me find the right colors to mix i would appreciate it, success/
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/spacestore_2068_19652359 My builder is not sure how to mix it.
Last edited by BERT aka MODEL MAKER on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
IF MY SIGNAL IS BLINKING, I AM NOT ASKING PERMISSION
CaptOchs

Re: Need color mixing help to make this color

Post by CaptOchs »

BERT aka MODEL MAKER wrote:I am trying to find the right colors to make the orange color shown in the picture of the command module top where the parachutes are stored. i have tried yello with orange, red with you name it. i just cannot find the right color combination, anyone that can help me find the right colors to mix i would appreciate it, as i have wasted enough paint with no success/
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/spacestore_2068_19652359
You might want to look at Testor's railroad paints. I'd say Southern-Pacific Daylight Orange or Southern-Pacific Daylight Red look very close. http://www.testors.com/category/137236?n=1
Some train stores have other brands that could look more like it. Are you painting with enamels or acrylics?
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

On my monitor that looks like a rusty color. Try adding white, yellow, and/or red to a basic rust color.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

One of the things they teach you early in art class is red isn't always red and yellow isn't always yellow. Tamiya red is very blue based so mixing in Tamiya yellow (which has a touch of green) makes for an ugly orange. What you'll need to find are bright warm reds and yellows, what those are is up to you as I don't have a spot color reference for hobby paints.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

PolyScale has a line of railroad paints, and maratime paints.

Vallejo has a whole lot of colors, too.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

maybe interntl orange.
Last edited by BERT aka MODEL MAKER on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Yeah, I've done a bunch of trainers and drones - orange isn't easy. Sometimes an undercoat of red helps, then apply the orange over top. Other times a yellow undercoat works better. Often the orange I find is gloss, and doesn't cover well, so a flat red or yellow is a good base coat. I should have thought about that earlier.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

:)
Last edited by BERT aka MODEL MAKER on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Mike

Post by Mike »

Have you looked at Vallejo paint? They have a few shades of orange that may be what you are looking for:

http://www.io.com/~beckerdo/minis/minio ... Color.html
BERT aka MODEL MAKER

thanks Mike, for the paint chart link.
BERT
MODEL MAKER
Apollo Adama

Post by Apollo Adama »

Honestly, that looks to me like two paints in one. A yellow base coat and a light (or transparent) orange or red on top. I say that because I've come up with similar fades myself experimenting with the bussard collectors to make them appear to glow.