PS Black Question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

starmanmm

PS Black Question

Post by starmanmm »

Was using this with mixed results.

First I thought it was the bottle I was using, meaning old. I was using it thru the airbrush, thinning it with distilled water (like it says on the bottle) and shooting it at around 20 psi.

Problem was that it was clogging the AB more than usual.

Ok,

So I went out and bought a new bottle and this time used PS AB thinner (which I had hanging around) and the results were about the same.

Would spray ok, and then clog up... even after cleaning the tip.

I notice that what was left in my mixing jar seemed to me that maybe I should have strained the paint?

Right now I am putting the tip of my Iwata thru a sonic bath for I can't get the needle thru it... figuring that it is clog with some of the paint.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

When using PolyScale I tend to shoot at about 12-15 PSI. Plus, I tend to thin fairly well, with the PS thinner. Don't expect to finish the job with one coat, it may take two thinner coats. If you coat too heavily you can easily get orange peel effect.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

Looks like that is what I will have to learn to do then.

Use to spraying one coat and then the final.... but I guess not with these paints!
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Particularly over anything glossy, thick PS is a recipe for disastrous orange-peel. Knock your PSI down, you'll have a better feel for the paint.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati