Best Glue for Photo Etch to Plastic?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TD1701

Best Glue for Photo Etch to Plastic?

Post by TD1701 »

What is the best glue to use for gluing photoetch metal parts to plastic? I ordered some from the store for my TOS E and I want to use the best possible glue. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Something thin, and slow setting. While an epoxy isn't thin, the slow set time allows you to add just the amount you need, and time to place it properly. In many cases, I don't even use glue. I have set the PE parts into a wet coat of primer, and then once dried, apply a second coat to seal the part in. I have also used future floor wax, a clear acrylic. A little dab will do ya!! But a white is also useful, something like Elmer's. Again, slow set time, easy to clean up, and dries clear to help hide any extra.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I use CA, medium & rubber impregnate versions.

Thin is good for edge work and some flat work but the rubber impregnated stuff is great for PE going flat against plastic. The big trick is to get it on thin enough so that it doesn't mush out of the sides when pressed into place.
Abolish Alliteration
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Gator Glue came highly recommended, and it worked well on the single bit of photo etch I've applied since I got a bottle.-
http://gatorsmask.com/gatorglueorder.html
interesting stuff, and easy to clean up if you make a mess.
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

Thanks Guys!

These are great suggestions, and I'll give them a try. I appreciate all the responses.

Thanks Again,

Tom
TD1701

Post by TD1701 »

I have the photoetch parts now, and I need to know what is the best way to remove them from the parts tree without damaging them?

Thanks,

Tom
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Place some masking tape to the back of the PE fret. Place the fret on a flat, hard surface, face up. A piece of glass works. Using a rounded blade, place the blade next to the attachment stub, and roll the blade over it, applying moderate pressure. The tape will stop the part from going POING across the room.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Arsenic Hipster

Post by Arsenic Hipster »

That's brilliant!
I'd never thought of that, for little bits like that I'd always just cupped my hand over it and hoped for the best.

This is why you should click on random threads even if you aren't sure they are of any interest to you.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The other, less slick looking, method is to place them into a clear sandwich bag or what and trim off the fret, the bag catching the part. Problems is its awkward and you go through a lot of bags.
Abolish Alliteration
jeffrowse

Post by jeffrowse »

Johnnycrash wrote:Place some masking tape to the back of the PE fret. Place the fret on a flat, hard surface, face up. A piece of glass works. Using a rounded blade, place the blade next to the attachment stub, and roll the blade over it, applying moderate pressure. The tape will stop the part from going POING across the room.
Known in some engineering establishments as "Ping-FrackIt Tape" since it stops the part going "Ping" and you going... well, I dare say you can work it out :-)
"No, no, no! We're Ethically-Challenged Merchants with Negotiable Morals! We are NOT pirates!" - Capt. Lauren Michaels, owner-aboard IMV Valkyrie
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

That's a bit like spring circlips - they were always knows as "Jesus Clips" because that's what you'd say when the went ping and flew across the room or ricocheted deep into the bowels of the engine bay.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson