Does any one know how to clean up or (Polish) clear plastic

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

cylon75

Does any one know how to clean up or (Polish) clear plastic

Post by cylon75 »

Hi i just did the ring ship and it has a clear plastic ring so you can see the habitat i put in it but its not as clear as i would like ,dose any one have any suggestions on how to get it a little clearer from the out side. I know about future but i don't have a air brush to use and don't know if it can be wiped on. Thanks
Not all cylons are bad ,only the damaged ones
Disillusionist

Post by Disillusionist »

I've had a lot of polishing success using Micro Mesh products. It takes some time going through all the different grits, but it's well worth the effort.

Novus polishes work extremely well also. I've buffed some pretty nasty scratches out of acrylic with it. Once again, all you need is some time and patience.
Affordable laser cutting and engraving for the hobby community

www.laserfirecreations.com While you're at it, follow us on Facebook
wraith1701

Post by wraith1701 »

I've heard that a coat of future floor polish does magic on clear plastic.
-Eric
jdeleonardis

Post by jdeleonardis »

Future does do wonders on clear plastic, and yes, it can be painted on with a brush straight from the bottle.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

Future works great to fill in fine scratches and haze on the surface of clear parts, if the surface is rough or distorted, Future will not help much.

To get the part as clear as possible your best bet is to sand the outside with various grades of fine grit sandpaper, then moving on to plastic polish, then Future.

It can be brushed on, for this application I'd use a wide brush. Make sure that after application you cover the part with a bowl or something similar to keep dust off the fresh Future until it dries, I wait several days before handling the part.

Ken
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Go to Wal-Mart's pharmacy or makeup aisle. Get a fingernail polishing kit. Use its grits in the order specified on the package, but use them wet. Change your water in between grits. You will never use a plastic polish again after trying this. :) If there are really deep scratches, you may have to work these out with some 800- or 1000-grit prior to using the buffing kit.

After using the polishing kit, rinse the thing off. Then, dip it in Future floor polish. Wick any excess away with the torn edge of a paper towel. Set it aside, shielded from dust, to dry.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.