What's the strongest non-toxic glue for styrene?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

brt

What's the strongest non-toxic glue for styrene?

Post by brt »

I have chemically sensitive kids. From what I have read, the testors blue glue is non-toxic, but doesn't hold very well.
Last edited by brt on Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

Super Glue (Cyanoacrylate) isn't an option?

We use it at work to seal small cuts, and they use it at hospitals for temporary suture work

Long as you don't drink it, splash it in the eyes, etc it's about as non-toxic as you can get
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
walter

Post by walter »

The blue tube glue will work just fit the parts together very good
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Blue tube is crap. There, I said it. Takes a long time to cure and depending on the styrene may have little effect.

Try Micro-Weld by Microscale. Not as fast as Tenax or what but will strongly affix parts together.
Abolish Alliteration
eeun

Post by eeun »

Micro-Weld rocks. I'm attempting to get my model building reasonably non-toxic, and Micro-Weld was a great find.
Smells like oranges.
The only disadvantages are I find it leaves the plastic at the seam a touch softer than with, say, Testor's Liquid Cement, and it won't work over painted plastics.
Second choice is super-glue.

For filling I've been using super-glue mixed with talcum powder, and Liquitex Modeling Paste.

I've not yet weaned myself completely from toxic paints, but the spray-booth takes care of that.
brt

Post by brt »

Thanks guys.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

There's odor free CA, a bit pricey, but it works if you are sensitive.

Another vote for the Micro Weld though--my daughter uses it. The longer working time is a bonus for her, although it also means more time to get a fingerprint put in.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Why not combine the Blue Tube glue with a super glue? You know mix the 2 together.
Normal?? What is normal??
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Because it would be madness! MADNESS I say! MADNESS!!
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.