Using Tape as a Guide for Scribing

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Tchail

Using Tape as a Guide for Scribing

Post by Tchail »

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking for a thick tape that can be used as an edge for scribing panel lines.

I was watching a video of a pro model builder building the Yamato, and he used some type of thick edged tape when rescribing the panel lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuDk28a2 ... 8&index=11

Can anyone tell me what type of tape to use?

Or where I can get some?

Thanks,

-Tchail
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
JadedMonk

Post by JadedMonk »

Dymo embossed label tape will do the trick quite nicely. The older tape is better but even the stuff now sold at office supply stores will work. I bought a 3pack for about $6 the other day.

Cheers,

JM
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Yep, I can almost guarantee that's what he's using. Make sure you get the kind that's in different colors of plastic where letters would be punched into it, not the thin tape that gets printed on (both are labeled "Dymo" brand). Office Depot usually has it in a combo pack of red, blue, green, and black.

-Rog
Alex Dumas

Post by Alex Dumas »

I use 3M flexible tape and it works very good http://www.scihighmodels.com/howto_scrib.html
Alex
scihighmodels.com
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I've used the Dymo tape and others. The only bad thing about it is it will pull up putty, even Aves, when you need to score over an area that's needed filler or is sculpted.

Just use a flexible metal straightedge and hold it down. These can be had as cheap as a pack of the old Dymo and work far better:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/newshop/ ... uct_ID=171

Get yourself a tungsten carbide machinists scribe and you'll never have a dull scriber again. They're less than five bucks on Ebay.

Can't get one of those template sets? No problem. Cut up some of the metal protective slats on some 3.5-inch floppy disks. They work great and are cheap. I have a whole arsenal of scribing templates like that - flexible metal that are found and some are purchased.

Here's the way I scribe. It's a little unorthodox, but it works for me and allows for easy fixes on the fly over any substrate:

viewtopic.php?t=42752

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
starmanmm

What is this guy using to glue the kit

Post by starmanmm »

On another site, came across this vid....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuDk28a2 ... 8&index=11

At 6:54, it looks like he is mixing glue and what.... I don't know to fill the seams in. Was wondering if he was mixing glue and microballoons?
Underlord

Re: What is this guy using to glue the kit

Post by Underlord »

starmanmm wrote:At 6:54, it looks like he is mixing glue and what.... I don't know to fill the seams in. Was wondering if he was mixing glue and microballoons?
I believe he is using a CA glue and baking soda. The Baking soda fills gaps and causes the CA to instantly harden, ready for sanding.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

I use the dimo tape for round or heavy curves otherwise I use a thin metal straight edge with 3M crepe double sided tape. This keeps the edge from wandering on you and thus giving you an inconsistent straight line.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
No_6

Post by No_6 »

Just to throw my .02 in there, but I use Staedler-Mars stainless steel replacement compass tips to scribe with. They are very sharp, and I have yet to have one dull on me. And they sell for like .69.
I am not a number.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

You can remove some tack from the Dymo tape by sticking it to your hand first. It will pull up putty or primer as Brother Kenny said. It doesn't need to be on super-strong, but secure.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

I stick Dymo tape down to a piece of glass two or three times to reduce the tack.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.