How to prevent light leak along a seam?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

grayson72

How to prevent light leak along a seam?

Post by grayson72 »

Ok I did a search on this but didn't come up with anything.

I'm lighting a kit, the hull is in two halves, how do I put the two halves together and eliminate the light leak along the seam? (oh, it's a resin kit and doesn't have any kind of lip or channel that securely holds the two halves together.)

I know this is a pretty basic question but I'm sure the pro's on here can answer this in a split second with awesome techniques that I just can't think up on my own.

Thanks
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I would install my own lip using some thin plastic strips on the inside of one of the halves. Then I'd paint the inside of the strip with a good coat of paint (black or another dark color). This would only work if the two halves have a similar thickness of course.

But that's the only way I can think of. I'm assuming you're asking because you won't have access to the inside once they're glued together?

As long as the mating surfaces are tight and you fill the seam if it needs it, I wouldn't think you'd have a huge problem anyway, but the above would be an easy failsafe.

-Rog
TShark

Post by TShark »

You might try using aluminum tape (found at Home Depot or most other hardware stores). The tape is thin, can be cut easily, and will block any light. The only issue you might have is that it may reflect light in other directions, but you can paint the tape to prevent this.
TShark
grayson72

Post by grayson72 »

Yeah I have some of that and if I could stick it over the seam on the inside after I closed the two halves that would be perfect, but there's no access to do that once the two halves are together. :(
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I'd do what Rog said, but with the aluminum tape. Build a lip/light trap and glue it together (perhaps with something like the Wave Black CA).
Abolish Alliteration
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Black velvet. A thin strip of black velvet folded over itself and glued to the inside lip, protruding enough to push against the other side when closed.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Yeah, the aluminum tape would be a lot easier. If you were careful you could leave a little tab sticking up all the way around and it wouldn't really need to stick to the other half, just act as a shield, though adding a bead of glue would seal it pretty well.

To be more specific with what TShark said (for anyone who doesn't have it)- it's used in air conditioning and heating duct work, so you're more likely to find it with that stuff than with masking and electrical tapes if you can't track down someone in an orange/red/blue vest.

It's good stuff to have around anyway. Since it conducts electricity it can be used for a variety of things.

-Rog

EDIT: Black velvet is a great idea, using it as a sort of door gasket. That's what we used in the theater to hide side lights and people wandering around backstage.
grayson72

Post by grayson72 »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I have some of that tape but never used it (the installer left a roll when I get my new air conditioning system in my house) (ok ok he set the roll down, I recognized what it was and then it mysteriously hid itself). :)

I think I'll try the black felt trick. I can see that working well, if I can get it to hang and undercut the edge a bit it will slide back behind the other half when I put the two sides together.

Back to my lab muhwawhawhawhaw!!!
tetsujin

Post by tetsujin »

I say take the problem straight to the source. Where's this light coming from, anyway? Some king of LED maybe? Wrap that thing up in your aluminum foil - boom, no more light leak. :)
---GEC (三面図流の初段)
There are no rats.
The skulls eat them.
grayson72

Post by grayson72 »

Ah HA! BRILLIANT!!
donbies

Post by donbies »

Lots of great suggestions...one trick we used at ILM (along with those mentioned) is to fill a small Monoject Curved-tip syringe with black sillicone caulk and apply it to seams that were difficult to reach with the other methods.

--Don Bies