Not Model: Need Some Help with Vintage Omnibot Robot

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

YT

Not Model: Need Some Help with Vintage Omnibot Robot

Post by YT »

I was able to pick up a vintage Omnibot robot that I have wanted since I was a kid, but I need to find a new battery and charger. It uses a 6volt sealed lead acid battery and I have located a battery at Batteries Plus. I am having a harder problem locating a charger. Can I use a wallwort from Radioshack to charge the battery? I was thinking of using this one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...09&tab=summary I only need 300ma and this one is a lot more, I don't know if that will be a problem or if the adapter will even work to charge the battery. Assuming I can find one with the proper connector. The battery plugs into the robot and the charger plugs into the robot. Is a wallwort the same as a charger in this case?
Some battery information:
http://www.theoldrobots.com/misc2.html
Last edited by YT on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jagdson
Location: Hunched over my keyboard like a *pothoc* vulture, cursing my inability to properly budget my time.

Post by Jagdson »

Somewhere I have a recent copy of "Make" magazine (or something similar) which had a feature article on old hobby robots. I must dig it out and see if it's helpful.
Science created airplanes and skyscrapers, but it took faith to bring them together.

Trust me. I'm a priest.
YT

Post by YT »

That would be great. I am hoping that this will be more of a general electronics question for someone more in the know than myself. :D
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Incidently, can you post a picture of the robot?
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
YT

Post by YT »

Jagdson
Location: Hunched over my keyboard like a *pothoc* vulture, cursing my inability to properly budget my time.

Post by Jagdson »

Hmmm. Okay, no dice. That model might have been in the group picture, but I recall the article concentrating on larger robots of a different make.
'Sorry to get your hopes up.
Science created airplanes and skyscrapers, but it took faith to bring them together.

Trust me. I'm a priest.
YT

Post by YT »

Jagdson wrote:Hmmm. Okay, no dice. That model might have been in the group picture, but I recall the article concentrating on larger robots of a different make.
'Sorry to get your hopes up.
No problem, thanks for trying.
Scott Hasty

Re: Not Model: Need Some Help with Vintage Omnibot Robot

Post by Scott Hasty »

YT wrote:Can I use a wallwort from Radioshack to charge the battery? I was thinking of using this one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...09&tab=summary I only need 300ma and this one is a lot more, I don't know if that will be a problem or if the adapter will even work to charge the battery.
Make sure the wart is a regulated 6V. I've had 6V warts put out 17V, but were unregulated. The current handling capacity is the maximum the battery will draw from the power supply (wart). It is always best to have a power supply that exceeds the draw of what is powering it...
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason