Good silver paint to simulate aluminum.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

oggy4u

Good silver paint to simulate aluminum.

Post by oggy4u »

I would like to paint a MiG-21F in natural aluminum finish. I don't want to use Alclad but would like a paint that does a reasonable job. It doesn't matter if its enamel or acrylic.

Thanks
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

If you're going to rattle bomb it, I'd go with Krylon Metallic - Brilliant Silver. It provides a fairly smooth finish, very fine grain, and is quite durable when completely cured.

For airbrushing, there is absolutely NOTHING that beats the new Createx AutoAir fine aluminum base. It is simply the finest grained silver paint I have ever seen, and it is a breeze to work with.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Malcolm M

Post by Malcolm M »

Krylon (I think) make a natural aluminum and a shinier "chrome aluminum". Both give a very nice smooth finish.

I've used both on prop resin badges with good results.
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

There are a couple of nice aluminum colors in the Tamiya "AS" spray line.

If you want to airbrush something, you can't be the Floquil 'Old Silver' or 'Bright Silver' colors.

Ken
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

I highly recommend Floquil Bright Silver.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/ ... C_0150.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/ ... C_0153.jpg

Leave it shiny for a pristine "just off the assembly line" look, or weather it for a grungy dirtified look. Can I ask what Mig-21 kit you're building? I'm something of a Fishbed fanatic....
oggy4u

Post by oggy4u »

I'm trying to finish Hasegawa's MiG-21F in Indonesion markings, the one with the red lightning bolt down the side. I have the superscale decals which appear to fit the Hasegawa kit which I feel scales out at 1/68. I do not recommend this kit as it is crude, raised lines and underdetailed. I had to replace the inaccurate canopy with Hellers' 1/72 MiG-21F (another dog).Hasegawa has re-released this kit along with their ancient MiG-17.

Curiously, Academy seems to have released this kit but with scribed lines.
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

Thanks for the info. My local hobby shop has a few old Hasegawa Fishbeds in the consignment section; I've nearly bought one on a couple of occasions, but never got around to it after building Revell's early Mig-21F. I'd still like to pick one up just for the sake of curiosity. And Academy has reissued other Hasegawa Migs; I've got one of their Mig-23s and it appears to be a direct copy of the Hasegawa kit but with engraved detail.