LED Wonder Widget - sort of

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

en'til Zog

LED Wonder Widget - sort of

Post by en'til Zog »

If you are looking for LED lighting for a project, and want to keep it simple and cheep, try this wonder widget. "Sylvania LED series Battery-Operated LED Dome Lights" - 15 LEDs (all white, or multi colored) with a battery box and a built in effects programmer. For about $4.00 US. Most of the FX are just various on/off blinkies, but some are sequential (in groups of 3) and one is a quite nice fade on - fade off effect. Perfect for quick & dirty "Area 51 UFO" or Martian War Machine lighting. The box needs 3 AA batteries to operate.

For four bucks, with 8 lighting effects, it's worth a look. I got mine at Fleet & Farm up here in the woods, but most places that carry Syvania LED lights should have it.

Model ON!
Where there's a Will....there's Probate.
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

I'll check it out. Thanks! :D
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

One more use. If you're doing a dio-wamma and need sequential lighting of runway marker lights, there are a couple 'a sequences that could work for you - in sets of 3 LEDs.

Lighting from one end, to the other, staying lit, then all going out at once.

Lighting from one end, to the other, staying lit, then going out in the reverse direction (rolling out a carpet of light, then rolling it back up).
SpaceDuck

Post by SpaceDuck »

I love (and have made a habit of) cruising the "lighting" aisle as well as toys whenever I go shopping looking for things like you've described.

Great heads up- now I'll try to find exactly this one too! :8)
Duck Dodgers of the 24th and a half century!
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

I should have mentioned that this widget is in the Christmas lights department. :oops:

The LED's are easily replaceable so you could make up a set with all BLUE LEDs, or RED, or LEMON....
TREKKRIFFIC

Re: LED Wonder Widget - sort of

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

en'til Zog wrote:If you are looking for LED lighting for a project, and want to keep it simple and cheep, try this wonder widget. "Sylvania LED series Battery-Operated LED Dome Lights" - 15 LEDs (all white, or multi colored) with a battery box and a built in effects programmer. For about $4.00 US. Most of the FX are just various on/off blinkies, but some are sequential (in groups of 3) and one is a quite nice fade on - fade off effect. Perfect for quick & dirty "Area 51 UFO" or Martian War Machine lighting. The box needs 3 AA batteries to operate.

For four bucks, with 8 lighting effects, it's worth a look. I got mine at Fleet & Farm up here in the woods, but most places that carry Syvania LED lights should have it.

Model ON!
Where can one find these ? Target ? Walmart ?
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
grayson72

Post by grayson72 »

Awesome find, I didn't see them on the actual Sylvania site but I found some other cool stuff.

http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/docum ... 38ecfe.pdf

LED table runner for a long string of white LED's

LED Placemats that utilize fiber optics, for $25 you get two with rechargable battery packs.

LED light sticks, the blue one might be perfect for lighting Nacels.
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Hi, TREKKRIFFIC!
I'd check the Seasonal Decorative Lighting departments at any "Big Box" store near you. Wal-Mart and Target are good places to try. I just happened to find it at a local chain up here - Fleet & Farm "the Man's Mall".

Cool info, grayson72!
More goodiez to model with, without the agony of solder burns in inconvenient places on the body. (I've learned to let the dropped soldering iron DROP - and to just get out of the way....) :shock:

Oops... it's Part # V1945 distributed by Inliten, LLC Glenview, Ill 60025 .
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

I think the wonder circuit I am trying to remember is called a

Pika board...

pekko board..

Pokee board...? :?

Someone knows what i mean,,, I certainly don't... :|

My friend says it's an Arduino board... but that's certainly
not what I recall... :o
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!