Would this blade work for scribing lines?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

greasyspoon

Would this blade work for scribing lines?

Post by greasyspoon »

I got an A-wing off of E-bay and it had raised panel lines. I was wondering if this blade
http://www.craftsetc.com/store/item.asp ... mId=103660
for an Excato knife would work to scrib lines in the model.

I have never scribe lines before. It is a pain to do pretty simple just time consumeing?

THanks,
Jon
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Anything can work as a scriber......but that would not be my first pick. The BACK side of a #11 works OK but I got a dental tool/pick at the IMPS show that works very well. It was under $2 and should last until I lose it(like the last one I had!) Check that auction place...I am sure there are some there for little $$$
Squall67584

Post by Squall67584 »

That might work, but could be really thick, making the lines rather wide. I've used the baremetal foil dental tool, a pin-like scriber which looks like an exacto handle with a thick nail attached, curved scribing saws from SSM store, and a #11 hobby blade. Honestly, the easiest to use is the #11 blade, either using the back end of the tip or by actually using the sharp end and slicing a line into the plastic. From there, I use either the dental tool or the other to widen or deepen the line. The saws work well too, especially if the line you're wanting to scribe has to go around a curve. If I were doing the A-Wing, I'd use the #11 blade for the majority of the lines, using the raised lines as a guideline. Then on the curves, I'd use the curved scribing saws.
"I never wanted to be anything else but an Engineer." - Montgomery Scott

My Star Wars "fanfic" story series. Sequel in Progress!
Remnants of the Force

Way of the Blaster
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I didn't like those blades for scribing, myself. I forget who posted it, but there's a really great way to cut or grind a regular X-Acto blade so that it makes about the best scriber you can find. It's hard to explain, but if someone has a link to the picture please jump in. You basically cut about half the blade off at an angle so that there's a point at the back of the blade and then make a little notch to give the point a little extra pointyness. You're then using the blade backwards.

I haven't found anything that works better, although it won't do really fine lines obviously. But who doesn't wonder what to do with used blades?

-Rog
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_ ... 001e1195b2

Once you use this, you'll never go back to needles, knife blades, or "scribers". This is the tool to have if you're scribing lines in styrene.

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models