super glue

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

cornishreaper

super glue

Post by cornishreaper »

ok so been watching some videos on youtube recently. and seen some guys using a glue that has a brush applicator. but over here i can only get liike the squeeze type. wondering if there any where online that you can buy the stuff at all
Interesting_Screen_Name

Post by Interesting_Screen_Name »

Did a quick google search and found a few things. I've never used any of these except pro weld so I'm not sure how well any will work. I'm also not sure about international shipping to the UK but here's what I found:

http://www.supergluecorp.com/bondini/bo ... 2%AE-brush

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007894AW/ref ... hisProduct

http://www.mileskimball.com/MilesKimbal ... 0000052955

http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/supe ... oz-reviews
cornishreaper

Post by cornishreaper »

i was just thinking about changing my glue thats all. the super glue i use leaves a lot of mess. have you used any of these. do you no if there messy at all
nicholjm

Post by nicholjm »

I use super glue that is in a tube kinda like nail polish, and it has a brush applicator. I bought it at Walgreens I think. I just noticed you are in the UK. Do they have Walgreens over there? Probably not, huh?
"Dogs and cats, living together...MASS HYSTERIA!!!"
The Master

Post by The Master »

Nope, no Walgreens to my knowledge. But we DO have quite plenty of hobby stockists including one called Antics. Merely surmising from the username if they are in Cornwall or not but there is one such store in Plymouth opposite the cathedral. Antics has a substantial online store so maybe they might sell it?

I suppose you could try and DIY? Get a bottled super glue and just replace the screw top with something like a Tippex brush applicator? Just a suggestion as I realize the brushes will either be too fine or course but something I just thought of.

Without extensively searching every single outlet in the UK on Google, I am sure someone here must stock it as an import item.
'The irony ... That it takes a HUGE amount of idiots to pick on one person because that's what COWARDS do'
Interesting_Screen_Name

Post by Interesting_Screen_Name »

What kind of glue do you use now?

I use Ambroid Pro Weld for many parts and it works great. It's like water but with a different applicator brush it works wonders.

Here's a link for some info on it:

http://www.houseofhobbies.com/amprlice.html

Thin or medium CA is still my glue of choice though.
Pandaphil

Post by Pandaphil »

Seems like a super glue brush applicator would dry and get gummed up awfully fast. Me, I just use the local store brand in plastic bottles, and use a needle to apply.
Last edited by Pandaphil on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" -Sherlock Holmes
The Master

Post by The Master »

I dislike tubes. Although, they can get runny (depending on what type or whether it's been in different temperatures) but the drop/bottle applicators I found easier to use. I found them also useful for sealing up a gap between a part as opposed to the gel tubes. I found the bottle applicator useful for sealing any gaps/seams on the kitbash I made this year.
'The irony ... That it takes a HUGE amount of idiots to pick on one person because that's what COWARDS do'
Faye

Post by Faye »

We have loctite, they sell superglue with brush applicators and the brushes use plastic bristles so it doesn't get gummed up so easy. Problem is the loctite bottles are tiny, also they cost... well lets just say a lot. You can get em pretty much anywhere (Sainsburys, WH Smiths ect ect) And, come to think of it, the actual glue isnt all that great either...
Definitely *not* Man-Faye

"We looked at the dining table and saw an opportunity to play wiff-waff"
The Master

Post by The Master »

Funny as I was just thinking about Loctite but isn't Cornishreaper also in the UK? I mean, we've sold superglue in the UK for quite a while now in many forms. It's probably one of the most basic glues on the shelves of any hobby shop here (apart from cement) and Loctite certainly is stocked by pretty much any good model shop. And, yes, you can also get it at Tesco, Sainsbury, WhSmiths, your local corner shop. But you are likely to pay through the nose in those places.
sciford

Post by sciford »

I've never used anything but Loctite for all my builds, resin or styrene. The original squeezy tube has no control over the glue coming out, ALWAYS resulting in a messy job, the brush applicator version is really too expensive for the volumn of glue you get compared to the others available, the gel version takes waaaay to long to set the the one that has the large plastic(black/red/green/blue squeeze pressure points on its 2 sides) is just the regular Loctite squeezy tube in different and more expensive packaging - also known as "frustration free applicators". The only version I'll ever use is the one that comes with the long nose applicator allowing very small amounts to be applied at a time. IF i need a brush applicator, i use a cheap artists brush and apply the glue to it, then dispose of the brush.

This glue is everywhere in the UK; even Halfords and your local corner shop carries it. Here's a link to their webpage...

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/

Note: - those "frustration free" applicator bottlers make great little builds with a few greeblies added to them, or use the bottle themselves as greeblies on a large scale build...
"Still crazy, after all these years". (P. Simon)
cornishreaper

Post by cornishreaper »

hey guys wow thanks for the responses. i am indeed in cornwall rite down by lands end. erm all my local hobby stores have closed of recent the last to go was a toys r us in truro.
at the moment im using SX SIROFLEX TRADE STRENGTH SUPERGLUE
CYANOACRYLATE ADHESIVE HIGH VISCOSITY. for 50mg its 3.05 pounds

ive used the stuff for a while now but its getting on my nerves a bit. ive used the loctite stuff as well and didnt seem to get on with it at all.
teco has a good little range but when coming upon price they like to charge for it as well. i was wondering if i could get away with using a brush from a brush on superglue with the one i have but when i did use an old artist brush it gummed up within minutes.

im really thankful for the responses ive got on here its really nice to see.

gonna check some of those sites out in a minute. but thanks again

on a side note being down in cornwall i guess there arnt many people sci-fi modelling down here. is there any groups online. i think i saw the uk ssmuk. but just seeing if there are many uk modellers close by at all.
sciford

Post by sciford »

cornishreaper wrote:
"... on a side note being down in cornwall i guess there arnt many people sci-fi modelling down here. is there any groups online. i think i saw the uk ssmuk. but just seeing if there are many uk modellers close by at all.
Hey Cornishreaper, c'mon join us over here:

http://www.scifimodels.org.uk/

We're a UK modelling site that's been going since the mid nineties. The latest issue of Sci Fi & Fantasy Modeller magazine (a UK publication) has an excellent article about us. C'mon by and make some noise, you're more than welcome to.
"Still crazy, after all these years". (P. Simon)
cornishreaper

Post by cornishreaper »

hey sciford. it seems i already apparently have an existing account on there. tried to sign up last night and it says my email address was already associated with an account. but thanks for the link gonna try and get on there with this username soon. i have just taken like 40-50 photos of current and completed projects and will be uploading to photobucket once my new hardrive arrives for the laptop.

erm checked out most of the sites online and come across a possible few things that mite be what im after. but thanks guys for your help. hopefully i can return the favourat some point