Choice of three airbrushes

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

radiofrog

Choice of three airbrushes

Post by radiofrog »

I've never even used an airbrush, but I've been wanting one for many years.

There's a local sale that has 3 different models discounted, and I wanted to get people's takes on the deals:

Paasch VL-Set (double action, internal) - $70
Iwata Eclipse - $126
Aztek Deluxe Professional - $119

Any opinions are very welcome! :)
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

I would take either of the other two over the Aztek. I've never felt like Testors puts a lot of quality into their equipment, especially for the price. I'm not a big fan of the shape, either. I know it's more ergonomic, but it feels like they're disguising something they don't want me to know about.

As for choosing between the Iwata and Pasche, you can't go wrong, just pick a price. :)

-Rog
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Which Aztec are we talking about? The plastic bodied one pretty much stinks. It's too light in your hand, and just doesn't feel right. I've been using the Chrome body for the past couple of years as my principle model/hobby brush, and I like it quite a lot. The wide selection of heads, including a "Spatter" (tan) for weathering effects is very nice, and they come with an unconditional lifetime guarantee that they are very good about honoring.

You can't go wrong with the Iwata. Get the 3.5mm needle and head assembly, and you should be able to do everything from general coverage, down to hairline details with the same brush. The new triple action handle is really a nice functional add-on too.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
talon

Post by talon »

I have an Eclipse BCS and its great but I'd recommend the gravity cup over the siphon bottle.

I use the Eclipse BCS for general base coat sprayings with custom mixed colors and then use my Custom Micron C+ for fine detail work.
Rob "Talon" Holts
Acreation Models
http://www.acreationmodels.com

"If my calculations are correct, once this thing hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious $@*&!"
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Iwata, Iwata, Iwata.
Abolish Alliteration
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

I have all three of them. I was never able to use the Paasche for more than a few minutes at a time because it made my hand cramp. It's a good instrument, but is not the easiest thing in the world to clean. The Aztek sees a lot of use mainly in priming and covering large areas. I keep the nozzles in a small jar of Createx airbrush cleaner and they are always ready to go. Virtually no cleanup involved. The Eclipse HP-CS is used for detail work, shading, and generally anything that's going to require a very small amount of paint that needs to go in a specific place. If I had to choose just one, it would be the Iwata.
Scanam2006

Post by Scanam2006 »

I prefer the Iwata and you can often find it discounted on the net. Iwata's have high precision and can last for most of your modeling career. The new triple handle as others mentioned is a great accessory
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

Iwata all the way. Best airbrushes by far and away.
Thomas E. Johnson
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

I use an Iwata HP-CS wonderful brush, easy to clean too!
psytce

Post by psytce »

Iwata Airbrushes are the best available.
Just get the Iwata and forget any others.....
Scanam2006

Post by Scanam2006 »

It is very interesting about the consensus for Iwata. I started with an HP-BC over twenty years ago and all I had to replace was a little gasket in the air valve for a few dollars. The nozzle and needle are still perfect due to the steel precision construction
radiofrog

Post by radiofrog »

Thanks for all the replies!

Sounds like I can't go wrong with the Iwata.
Here's the one I saw:
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/993/1405.jpg

And thanks, Scanam2006, for the info on discounted ones online. I guess I was just assuming it was a good deal because it was 30% off. After minimal searching, it looks like I can find it for less. 30% off "WAY too much" can still be too much.
redfinger

Post by redfinger »

radiofrog wrote:Thanks for all the replies!

Sounds like I can't go wrong with the Iwata.
Here's the one I saw:
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/993/1405.jpg

And thanks, Scanam2006, for the info on discounted ones online. I guess I was just assuming it was a good deal because it was 30% off. After minimal searching, it looks like I can find it for less. 30% off "WAY too much" can still be too much.

I am a big man, and my hands are the size of a small grizzly.....this is why I prefer the Iwata, something about it feels good in my hand, it has some weight and size which is nice.

Ashton
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Kylwell wrote:Iwata, Iwata, Iwata.
Dotto, Ditto, Ditto.

Iwata's are wonderful tools.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
stephenmorphey

Post by stephenmorphey »

Hello everybody.

I think that three airbrushes are used in hard-spray for a flawless tan. The spray used will depend on your personal skin tone.
I want to spray for a special event on pure sunlight, so give me the right suggestion which spray type is preferable to me.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

^ Uuuh... :shock:

-Rog