Need help figuring out how to make a tree (the branches)

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Brad

Need help figuring out how to make a tree (the branches)

Post by Brad »

Hi everyone. I need a little help from you all. Can anyone tell me how the branches for the tree in the pics I've linked to below were made. I'm pretty sure they're from some kind of plant that was preserved and then mounted on a trunk made from a dowel of some sort (appropriately textured and painted), but I can't figure out what. I'd like to make more (I bought these two some years ago), but I can't figure out what the guy how made them used.

Even if you don't know exactly what these come from, any suggestions for a similar look would be very much appreciated!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223 ... /Tree1.jpg
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223 ... /Tree2.jpg

Thanks,

Brad.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

There's a 'feathery' look to them. I mean you get a feather (maybe from an old feather duster), ruffle it up, snip a few of the barbs, paint it green and add some flaked green-dyed sawdust to the wet paint, you might get something close to it.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Brad

Post by Brad »

That's an idea. Have to look into that next time I'm at Michael's crafts with my daughters...
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

You might ask the railroad guys. I think I've seen books on "Make your own Foliage" in the RR sections. They sometimes need a lot of trees for a layout so they've got the system pretty well worked out.

G'Luck!
Brad

Post by Brad »

Thanks. Posted on the railroad section over at HobbyTalk, but maybe I need to join a forum dedicated only to railways. Guess I'm just stuck on this because I really like the way the trees look. Actually, just had a thought. I'm going to take a tree to a florist tomorrow. Maybe they can ID it.... :-)
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

The branches are cedar tree sapling branches. Get them in any field. Also, pull up the root when you grab them, as the root makes great scale trunks.

The trunks trick I read in my Shep Paine books. The saplings trick I read in my model railroad books by Kalmbach. I am not a railroad guy, but the books are invaluable painting/weathering tools.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Brad

Post by Brad »

Thanks very much for the tip. We have cedars here, so I should be able to find some! Really appreciate it!
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

I just stumbled onto this:
http://www.justin.tv/thebige61

A tree making webcast/video archive on JustIn TV.

Might be helpful, I don't know, as I haven't watched it myself.... :oops:

Dennis
Winners don't use question marks!
Brad

Post by Brad »

Thanks - that's on how to make furnace filter trees. I'll have to look at when I get home!
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Forgot to add, don't cut the cedar sapling trunks more than you have to, as they can ooze sap if it's been rainy lately. The cure is pretty easy - just let them dry on a window sill first. Some guys like to seal the fronds (leaves) with thin CA glue or thinned white glue misted on. It's tricky, but you get the hang of it after a while. With any model, don't store the thing where it will get sunlight during any part of the day.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Brad

Post by Brad »

thanks! I'm assuming I should soak them in a glycerine solution to preserve them, too?
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Brad wrote:thanks! I'm assuming I should soak them in a glycerine solution to preserve them, too?
That I don't know. I figured the CA or white glue would handle that since you're drying the stuff out first. Shep Paine makes no mention of glycerine in his books; I consider them a holy text for using the stuff.

I hope that helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com