using elmers glue as a masking for painting

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Danny40

using elmers glue as a masking for painting

Post by Danny40 »

HI! is elmers glue a good mask when dry?
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

No, I would guess not, but I've never tried it. More than likely, you'll peel the paint you want to stay on the model than if you use, say, Tamiya tape.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Danny40

Post by Danny40 »

thanks I'm like to mask the windows...hope someone could tell me if that would work
GrimCW

Post by GrimCW »

i've used it on a couple of small parts in the past (namely lights and windows on the 1:350 NX), just gotta make sure you get it EXACTLY where you want it, and thick enough you can just pop it off with your knife afterwards. To thin and it'll just get set down tight by the paint, comes off with some work and a good finger nail usually though :p
that aside it works rather well in all my trial runs :)
it doesn't exactly adhere to the plastic, and the paint, unless globbed onto the spot with glue, doesn't seem to affect it as far as the water wash goo effect the stuff gets.

all in all though, experiment with it to find what works for you.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

If you want a liquid mask rubber cement might be a better option.
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman
kenlilly106

Post by kenlilly106 »

I've used it for windows, small areas, irregular spots that were too odd to mask, etc.

You need a sharp edge for the glue to flow against, surface tension will run the glue right up to the edge, either scribed or raised works.

I would not use rubber cement, the solvents in it may dissolve the kit or underlying paint.

Ken
Fozzie

Post by Fozzie »

I have used it very successfully, but almost exclusively when I was masking channels or other indented areas. For instance, I used it to mask the channels in the warp grills on my 1:350 PL Refit Enterprise.
razorwyre1

Post by razorwyre1 »

try liquid latex instead
"i keep ordering from the Victoria's Secret catalog, and all they ever send me are the empties!"
DLMatthys
Location: "Fracking? Not in my back yard. Now get off my ranch!

Post by DLMatthys »

I've used Elmer's and Micro-Crystal clear to mask LEDs and projecting fiber optics. I also benefit with using punches and dies to make round discs from tape. My punch size collect range from the Waldron set to Fisca paper punches. Always the perfect circle.
DL Matthys
don@dlmparts.com
http://www.dlmparts.com
Make it Glow!
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Heck, just give it a try on some scrap plastic and you should have your answer.
Normal?? What is normal??