types of decal fixatives

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Space Garbageman

types of decal fixatives

Post by Space Garbageman »

Anyone have experience using artist's matte fixative spray to cover and protect decals instead of hobby-type products like Testors Dullcoat? It seems like they're both intended for the same use, but the fixative spray might be a thinner "coat"?
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Yes. I use Windsor & Newton and Daler Rowney almost exclusively.

They are both really good & will sit on virtually any paint type. They have not not attack any decals (even rub-downs) and they don't wash out weathering done by chalks, powders, washes and dry-brushing. I've never noticed any yellowing.

The W&N satin is still smooth enogh to take decals if you're desparate.

I suspect that Liquitex is every bit as good.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Joseph Osborn

Post by Joseph Osborn »

After a rotten experience on a Tamiya A-10 over twenty years ago, I stay away from lacquer-based hobby clears like Dullcoat. I don't know if the coating is any thinner with the art-department products, but they work just as well. J.W. etc's "Right Stuff" clear varnish is another great product and comes in matte, gloss, and semi-gloss formulas.