Painting Reds or Yellows

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

ArcadeKidd

Painting Reds or Yellows

Post by ArcadeKidd »

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has a method of avoiding
the many needed coats when painting reds and
yellows?
Can you tint primers like is done with house paints?

Cheers,
AK
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I don't think you really want to tint your primer. I know it is a pain in the rear painting reds and yellows, but the best advice I can offer you is to go with a very light primer.

For yellow, use a white primer. For red, use a very light grey primer. I shoot a lot of very light coats until it's just right. You'll see a transition in front of your eyes as it goes from a deep pink to a pale red. You could want the pinks if you're preshading, though. Keep that in mind.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Or if you want a truly eye searing red, go with a yellow base coat.

I've never had much of a coverage issue a/b Tamiya or Gunze reds or yellows, provided the base if light enough.
Abolish Alliteration
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

I prime with white enamel. I build lots of WWII Luftwaffe aircraft, so I frequently deal with light, bright colors, especially pale blues, and reds and yellows. Even when a kit fits perfectly and doesn't require filler or excessive sanding, I've found that a bright white coat of Floquil Reefer White helps painting go a lot easier.

On this Bf-109 I began painting with white; I then masked the tail band, then painted the blue. The yellow and red areas came out nice and bright with only a couple of thin airbrushed coats.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/ ... C_0134.jpg

On this Mustang, I painted the invasion stripes and the yellow/red checkerboard nose. Again, a bright undercoat of Reefer White made the bright colors "pop".

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b307/ ... C_0155.jpg

I recommend Floquil enamel, but any flat white enamel would do the trick.
ArcadeKidd

Post by ArcadeKidd »

Thanks All!

I'd been doing the light primers like
everyone else, I was just hoping that
I was missing out on a secret for some
of the deeper reds/yellows.

I'd be curious to see a pic of that
eye searing red with the yellow basecoat!

Cheers,
AK
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Also, airbrush semi-gloss rather than gloss - or paint gloss over a flat primer coat. Yellow and red are tricky, that's for sure.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Kylwell wrote:Or if you want a truly eye searing red, go with a yellow base coat.

I've never had much of a coverage issue a/b Tamiya or Gunze reds or yellows, provided the base if light enough.
Ditto - professional car painters use yellow under red. Some use black under yellow for an intense yellow. However, these won't get around the number of coats you have to use - it just intensifies the final finish colour.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson