need a recommendation to seal chrome

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

protorob

need a recommendation to seal chrome

Post by protorob »

Hi

I have a fantastic plastic royal starship from start wars. I have painted it chrome and have tried several sealers and have noticed that they dull the chrome. Is there any options I can use and still keep the chrome shiney but not as fagile to touch?

Thanks Rob...
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I use Future but they use clear gloss varathane in a lot of professional places.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Give Future floor polish shot through an airbrush a try. If you have a regulator, set it to about 15-18 psi when the trigger is depressed. Test it on some scrap piece painted the same way first to confirm the sheen is not affected. Generally, it doesn't hurt the sheen as it is a gloss coat.

Apply misting, rough looking coat. Apply second rough looking coat while first is still damp, not wet (10 minutes after the first, usually). Wait until the first two dry and apply a third, heavier coat. By "heavier," I mean like a normal coat of paint.

If you get any runs or drops, just touch the torn edge of a paper towel to the drop and it will be wicked away.

This technique takes a couple of times to get the hang of, but I have used it on metallic areas quite a few times with no problems. You may want to practice before trying it out.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
protorob

Post by protorob »

Thanks guys, but does not future yellow after some aging? I have a airbrush but am still new to it. How should I mix it? And is future not a floor wax? :D
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Future is acrylic, pure and simple.
Abolish Alliteration
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Yep. As long as Future is not stored in the sun, it will not yellow.

As Robb said, it's acrylic. Acrylic is basically clear latex paint. It's pretty tough stuff. Keep it out of sunlight, and you're good to go.

Lacquer, on the gripping hand, will absolutely yellow in about 30 seconds or five years.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

And just about any sealer will dull chrome. Chrome reflects based on the light hitting it, and reflecting almost perfectly to the eye. Adding a sealer interrupts the light path (slightly, but that *will* dull it).

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin