Space 1999 Moonbase Alpha base

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

DeltaVee

Space 1999 Moonbase Alpha base

Post by DeltaVee »

Anyone built this or have any ideas for assembling and filling the vacuform base so that it's a little sturdier? Plaster paris? Aves? Not sure if I'm looking to mount it on a plaque or get a length of frame material and glue it all the way around. Of course, that requires me to mitre the sides.
walter

Post by walter »

How big is it?
USSARCADIA

Post by USSARCADIA »

I would go the route of making your own base, either with 3/4" plywood and shoot some moulding to the edge(yes, miters) or find some large edge-glued wood shelves(check home Despot) and router an edge on. The home centers also have nice wooden circles that have finished edges. Then you can go plaster of paris to shape up the moonscape. I've done this before, but the plaster tends to crack/shrink when it's drying. Use spackle to fill in the cracks. Post some progress pics for us whatever you do.
Did you eat your Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs this morning?
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

You guys have some good ideas, even if you're setting me up for a lot of work. It's probably a foot and a half by 8-9 inches and in 2 pieces, one of which has to be cut where the pieces mate so they can overlap. I've made my own base before from paper mache, and it did ok. But I didn't have anything to start with. I like this base and it's already laid out for the Moonbase. I may go the plaster paris route. Just not sure how to fill it, keep the vacuform base from flexing somewhere and then leveling it out. Looks like I'll fly by the seat of my pants as usual.
widget

Post by widget »

I'd try a little bit of spray foam to fill in the base and then sand it down flush.
This IS my sig.
TheMilkmanCometh

Post by TheMilkmanCometh »

Remember: If the plaster base gets bumped a little too hard...CRASH. From experience. :(
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

Join the two pieces with Aves Apoxy Sculpt. Fill and shape the seam with same (I use dental tools dipped in alcohol to do the shaping). Then line the entire underside of the base with more Aves in very thinly rolled out sheets. You can do this with a baker's rolling pin and two sheets of waxed paper with the Aves in between. Once the Aves has set up, the base will be quite rigid.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
DeltaVee

Post by DeltaVee »

Good warnings and ideas. I didn't figure Aves would serve as a glue. I figured to join the pieces with Tenax. Will that work on vac sheets?
walter

Post by walter »

if the plastic is very thin it may melt to much .