Plastruct cement weld

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Jestermon

Plastruct cement weld

Post by Jestermon »

I started using this stuff exclusively a while back, my question is, when I get towards the bottom it gets goopy and purplish, /i use small sharpies to mark line but always clean it off now with 90% alcohol before I gle, it also happens even if I do not get it in there,

Is this just the nature of the beast?
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

It is a solvent type cement. So every time you use the little brush in the cap, it is contaminating the bottle with a small amount of the styrene (and anything that was on the styrene, like ink) So, yes; it is natural. However, I have found that if you place a drop of the cement onto the seam, and allow it to seep into the seam by capillary action; you get much less of this than if you drag the brush along the seam line.

On the other hand, the glue is one of the least expensive parts of the hobby (#11 X-Acto Blades are close - and need to be changed more often) , when it gets thick, it's time for a new bottle
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Jestermon

thanks

Post by Jestermon »

Thanks, that makes sense, I have just ran out again, stuff does last forever, I am out of blades at the moment as well, at least they are more widespread then the glue, I order it offline sometimes, but if I am near a Hobby Town I usually just pick it up there.

Is there some kind of "dropper" I could get (like those tiny glue ones I see for the cement) that would screw over the cap and let me "dropper" it in and not allow me not to contaminate the bottle?
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

Never really thought about it.... I'd check out the local pharmacy. I'll bet they have small eye droppers that would fit that bottle.
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK