Sealing metalizer spray paint?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

phil10123

Sealing metalizer spray paint?

Post by phil10123 »

I am buiding an Enterprise Polar lights Nx-01 1/350, I used Model Masters spray paint as the base coat. I then let it dry for a few days, but when I put the first mask down some of the paint came up, I need help as to how I should prevent the base coat from coming up thanks in advance.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I seal metallizers with Future floor polish, shot through an airbrush at 18-20 psi. I worry about the proper sheen later with flats, satins, or more Future for gloss.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
phil10123

Post by phil10123 »

Thank you this helps alot. I was just making sure about what to do next.
admiralcag

Post by admiralcag »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:I seal metallizers with Future floor polish, shot through an airbrush at 18-20 psi. I worry about the proper sheen later with flats, satins, or more Future for gloss.

I hope this helps.

Kenny
I'm interested in hearing more about your overall process with metallics.

Vern
It's a great day for America, everybody!
mightymax

Post by mightymax »

In my personal experience if you seal that metalized finish it will change its appearance. You can buff up a really nice polished aluminum finish.
Then shoot clear gloss over it and it transforms into an oxidized aluminum finish. Takes away the effect of polished metal so I try to not use a sealer coat.

Max Bryant