Testor's metallizer problems

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

phil10123

Testor's metallizer problems

Post by phil10123 »

Hi, I am trying to build an NX-01 polar lights, and I have sprayed down a coat of testors buffable metallizer from the spray can, and then let it dry. After a day of drying I brushed on a coat of future let it dry for a day and then I applied the first aztec mask, and I went to reposition it and it pulled up some of my base coat, my question is this; What are my options, I am considering stripping the entire ship, but I need to know if there is anything I can do to fix this short of stripping it, also what should I use to strip the ship? Thanks in advance.
Callandor

Post by Callandor »

There was a post a while back about using Super Clean to strip the paint. I believe it is an automotive cleaner.
Romulan Spy

Post by Romulan Spy »

Testor's Metallizer paints are excellent, but they absolutely will not tolerate any "handling"; any masking agent you apply on top of Metallizer paint will cause the paint to lift. A trick I learned over at Hyperscale.com is to use Floquil lacquers. I first clean the bare plastic with soap and water. Next I prime the surface with Testor's gloss black enamel, the kind that comes in the little square bottles; I thin this paint about three parts paint to seven parts lacquer thinner. It goes on very thin and takes multiple coats to evenly cover the plastic, but after it dries for a few days it is rock hard. For the color coats, you can mix any of Floquil's metallic paints to get the various shades you need; just thin the paint the same way you thinned the black primer. These color coats will go on very thin but the color will gradually build up, and once it's dry, it will be very tough. Just let each color dry for a few days and you should be able to use any low-tack masking tape.
mightymax

Post by mightymax »

I prefer Floquil Old Silver. Spray it on and it looks like oxidized aluminum.
You can buff it up to a nice polished shine. I once did some experimenting. I buffed SNJ polishing powder into the dried Old Silver finish. Just astonishing is how I felt.
Floquils seem to take handling and masking better than most other nmf finishes.

Max Bryant