Airbrushes and weathering

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

sci-fi-bldr

Airbrushes and weathering

Post by sci-fi-bldr »

About how much do you use your airbrush for weathering...

A little.....just for deep areas........or do you try to do most of it with one?
photoguy

Post by photoguy »

I probably do 90% of my paint work with an airbrush. That includes pre-shading, base color, blending, mask work (including aztecs), stencils, weathering, you name it.

I use a 000 spotting brush for fine detail work, and a lot of decals for markings and complex patterns.

I LOVE my airbrush :D
Member: IPMS, TSSM& NAPP
Visit my PORTFOLIO and
"Like" me on FACEBOOK
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Maybe about 20% or 30%. Preshading and post fading, and maybe some soot streaks. The rest I do with oil washes, drybrushing, pastels, and pencils.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Never. I'm not practiced enough with it to get anything. I still do my weathering by hand with washes and pastels.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Like Mr Badwrench I'll do pre and post shading with an airbrush, some soot/smoke stains but the rest is oils & pastels (the Tamiya weathering sets falling into the pastels category).
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Same here, lots of weathering effects with the airbrush.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
sci-fi-bldr

Post by sci-fi-bldr »

Thanks for the replies guys....

I use the airbrush alot for weathering....sometimes I feel too much....

While I have tried washes..and pastels here and there.....I haven't used them as much as I feel I should....going to start practicing them more
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

My answer to that is to use whatever method you're comfortable with as long as it produces the results you want. There's no harm in learning a new technique, though - I am slowly working on gaining enough practice with an airbrush to get enough confidence to let loose on a model.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson