Creating realistic scratches and wear using Hairspray

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Red Comet

Creating realistic scratches and wear using Hairspray

Post by Red Comet »

There are many ways to create a work look on the 'metal' surfaces of your scale models. You could hand paint them or sponge them on, both of which take a bit of time to do correctly. In this tutorial, I'll demonstrate the easiest way to create a realistic worn look using a technique that many Military and Aviation modelers have used for a long, long time.

http://www.ghostofzeon.com/diy/detailin ... tches.html
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

Wow nice tip!! I'll try that out. Thank you!
elend

Post by elend »

Ah, thanks for the link. Great pictures, which explain the technique nearly by themselfes. Very nice.

I guess this technique is hard to do when you are (still) painting your models with a brush, right? I noticed, that my paintcoat is always quite thick when I use my brush. Now imagine adding 2 different colors on the model. Hm.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Thanks for the instructions. That's really helpful.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Red Comet

Post by Red Comet »

elend wrote:Ah, thanks for the link. Great pictures, which explain the technique nearly by themselfes. Very nice.

I guess this technique is hard to do when you are (still) painting your models with a brush, right? I noticed, that my paintcoat is always quite thick when I use my brush. Now imagine adding 2 different colors on the model. Hm.
Yes it would be but not impossible. It's ideal to use an air brush for the painting with this technique as it keeps the layer thin and easy to remove.
Kolschey
Location: What? You mean the chip in my head isn't working?!? Don't tell me you have to drill another hole..

Post by Kolschey »

I've been seeing a fair bit on this method recently. I'm definitely going to have to give it a try.