How much resin?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

kugar13

How much resin?

Post by kugar13 »

Hey guys!

I'm new to Starship Modeler (joined last week). I'm also new to modeling. Well, I put together a bunch of models when I was a kid, but that doesn't count. LOL

I'm interested in scratchbuilding and casting. I'm going to take some great advice from some of the posters here and buy casting supplies from smooth-on.com, but I don't know how much I need.

I'd like to buy enough to cast 3 starfighter scale (reference: x-wing) models. I have no clue how much resin I'll need. I know this is one of those questions that doen't have a percise answer, due to all the variables, but can someone point me give me a ball park estimate?

I need to get resin, casting rubber, releaser, clan, the whole nine yards. Any advice and product preferences would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!!!!
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Post by USS Atlantis »

First off, I'd start small - maybe cast some small parts (greeblies) for adding to models just to get your feet wet

Casting an entire model is as much an art form as it is science, some of the people here did it piece and part for years before offering entire models

Second, realize it's fairly expensive - probably $30-$50 for enough rubber to mold an entire ship and $10-$15 for the resin to cast it; depending on size and complexity

Bearing that in mind - for rubber I'd suggest Smooth-On's Oomoo as a start - it's a 1:1 mix making it more fool-proof for the beginning molder

Then I'd suggest Smooth-On's Smooth Cast series (either 300 or 320); they are also 1:1 mix ratio with fairly quick set times

Start with the small kits (quart size) and play around with it to get a feel for molding/casting before going on to something more involved

Products are available directly from Smooth On
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
kugar13

thx

Post by kugar13 »

Thanks for the advice SSC!

Oh, I forgot.... I don't plan to cast it as one piece. I hope it didn't sound like that was my plan.

Oh, when I said clan, I meant clay. Any suggestions on a good clay product to buy? What about release agents? Do you need release agents for resin? Does anyone cast ships and such using something other than resin?

Thanks!
USS Atlantis
Location: Galaxy 217, Orion Arm, Sol System, Sol III, 44° 53' N 93° 13' W (Local coordinate system)

Re: thx

Post by USS Atlantis »

kugar13 wrote:Thanks for the advice SSC!

Oh, I forgot.... I don't plan to cast it as one piece. I hope it didn't sound like that was my plan.
I figured that was the case, casting anything large in one piece is more pain that it's work
kugar13 wrote:Oh, when I said clan, I meant clay. Any suggestions on a good clay product to buy? What about release agents? Do you need release agents for resin? Does anyone cast ships and such using something other than resin?

Thanks!
Ya, I transposed the 'n' into a 'y' in my head - personally, I use 'Klean Klay' - it's non-drying and easy to work with

Release agents - you'll need one for the rubber if you're doing 2-part molds - I use Alumilite Rubber-to-rubber mold release

For the resin - only if you're planning on more that a few pulls (casts) do you really need it - I use Stoner Urethane Mold Release for my work

For casting, I think just about anyone here uses 2-part Resin; either urethane, epoxy or fiberglass.
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
kugar13

Reusing rubber

Post by kugar13 »

I read you can grind up old rubber and use it as a filler in new casts to save on expense. Have you done this?

I don't plan on casting more than 2 starships from this mold, so I figure it may be a good alternative to throwing the molds away/storing them and never using them again.

Thx
USS Atlantis

Re: Reusing rubber

Post by USS Atlantis »

kugar13 wrote:I read you can grind up old rubber and use it as a filler in new casts to save on expense. Have you done this?
I haven't, unless the rubber you're using has a low viscosity (flows well) you might end up with air pockets next to the pieces

Rubber in resin - don't think that's advisable, better to use something more suited to resin filling
kugar13 wrote:I don't plan on casting more than 2 starships from this mold, so I figure it may be a good alternative to throwing the molds away/storing them and never using them again.

Thx
Who knows, you might end up with a design someone else wants, then the usage of release (it's really not that expensive) could be a major benefit when you go to make casts for them
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
kugar13

Post by kugar13 »

Sorry, I didn't mean to put the rubber chips in the resin, but in a new rubber mold. I read it in a book. Just thought I'd ask.

I didn't think of using something as a resin filler. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help. MUCH appreciated!
SCC-7107 USS Atlantis wrote:
kugar13 wrote:I read you can grind up old rubber and use it as a filler in new casts to save on expense. Have you done this?
I haven't, unless the rubber you're using has a low viscosity (flows well) you might end up with air pockets next to the pieces

Rubber in resin - don't think that's advisable, better to use something more suited to resin filling
kugar13 wrote:I don't plan on casting more than 2 starships from this mold, so I figure it may be a good alternative to throwing the molds away/storing them and never using them again.

Thx
Who knows, you might end up with a design someone else wants, then the usage of release (it's really not that expensive) could be a major benefit when you go to make casts for them
USS Atlantis

Post by USS Atlantis »

kugar13 wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to put the rubber chips in the resin, but in a new rubber mold. I read it in a book. Just thought I'd ask.

I didn't think of using something as a resin filler. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help. MUCH appreciated!
For resin filling, there are various thing available - Smooth-On has what they call Ure-Fil products that can be mixed with their SC products to give various effects

I'm sure others have similar products
Atlantis (Ken)

Build Blog
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

Ure-Fil works great, but if you aren't pressure casting you'll have a beeyatch of a time getting decent parts due to bubbles. It also makes the parts brittle.

Don't bother mixing old rubber with new, it aint worth the trouble. It doesn't pour well cuz it gets mega thick when you add chopped up rubber to new rubber, it makes the rubber rip easier, and if you don't deair it it'll trap air in the rubber, and any bits of rubber that have anything on them will eventually separate from the "new" rubber. Old molds are garbage, toss em and be done with them.

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models
kugar13

thx

Post by kugar13 »

DasPhule wrote:Ure-Fil works great, but if you aren't pressure casting you'll have a beeyatch of a time getting decent parts due to bubbles. It also makes the parts brittle.

Don't bother mixing old rubber with new, it aint worth the trouble. It doesn't pour well cuz it gets mega thick when you add chopped up rubber to new rubber, it makes the rubber rip easier, and if you don't deair it it'll trap air in the rubber, and any bits of rubber that have anything on them will eventually separate from the "new" rubber. Old molds are garbage, toss em and be done with them.

Erin
<*>
Thanks Erin, great advice!