Using masking (technique) with oil paints

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

deepcore

Post by deepcore »

Hi

Anyone have any experience using oil paints and masking (either with tape, blue tak, etc.)?

Does it work?

Thanks
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Masking with oil paint itself or masking to paint with them?

If the former, I have not heard of this. If the latter, I used to do a lot of oil painting and I can tell you that most masking tape is pretty bad with oil paint (like artist oils), especially if you've thinned it at all because it tends to seep under the tape and make a sticky mess. So I would highly recommend the green 3M tape that (as far as I know) you can only get at auto part and paint stores, like Auto Zone. It's all I use anyway (Satan invented both blue and white masking tapes), but it's designed specifically to hold up to solvents and does a good job of it.

Otherwise liquid mask and frisket both work well, as long as you don't get the kinds that are designed only for water based paints.

I hope that's what you were asking. :)

-Rog
deepcore

Post by deepcore »

Thanks.
I was wondering wether you could use masking techniques (using tape, liquids, blue tak, etc), that you wouldn't think twice using on acrylics/enamels, with oil paints.

Have you tried masking oil paints on a oil paint base layer? Does the base layer come off when you remove the masking tape/liquid?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I always clear coat my oils before masking. Oils can be a bit fragile and a nice coat of Future seals them in.

I'll have to try & find some of that green. I know Parafilm-M doesn't like CA accelerator and I bet would not like oils.
Abolish Alliteration
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

I have been painting with oils for almost 30 years. If your oils are thin enough to get under tape then you are not using them correctly. Unless you are doing oil washes. In any case put down your tape then seal the edge by spraying a layer of clear coat. Paint with your oils then let them thuroughly dry. you should then be able to carefully peal up the tape. The key to painting with oils is to keep them fairly dry.

Here is a link to the article I wrote for the site on painting with oils.

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/basics/my_oils.htm

Hope this helps,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Mark Yungblut wrote:If your oils are thin enough to get under tape then you are not using them correctly.
Different "strokes" for different folks.

-Rog