Question about Tamiya flat base

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

modeler1964

Question about Tamiya flat base

Post by modeler1964 »

For the first time I bought Tamiya flat base the other day to mix with future to dullcoat a model. I was shocked when I opened the jar in that this stuff was thicker than elmers glue! I stirred it with a toothpick before mixing with the future and it sprayed ok. I was just shocked over the viscosity. Is this how the stuff is or did I get a bad jar? :shock:
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

I bought two bottles of it a while back, same day, same rack. One bottle was like water, the other was a thick goo. Both worked just fine when mixed with paint and Future.

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Both mine were thick. Stuff will flatten even flat paint.
Abolish Alliteration
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

Thanks guys. Glad to know others have seen this before! This was the first time I had bought the stuff and was curious if this was the norm. After I stirred it in the bottle, no joke, I literally took it out of the jar on the toothpick, put it in the color cup of my AB, added future and it mixed and sprayed fine.
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

You should see the bottle of Tamiya Silver Titanium I bought. No amount of thinning, mixing, shaking, molesting, or agitation of any sort can get it to not be like wet talc. The worst part about it is that every bottle of it I've seen (yes, I've opened them at the hobby store to check) has been exactly like the one I have.

Paint is weird stuff for sure.

Erin
<*>
How about a nice cup of STFU?
http://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

DasPhule wrote:You should see the bottle of Tamiya Silver Titanium I bought. No amount of thinning, mixing, shaking, molesting, or agitation of any sort can get it to not be like wet talc. The worst part about it is that every bottle of it I've seen (yes, I've opened them at the hobby store to check) has been exactly like the one I have.

Paint is weird stuff for sure.

Erin
<*>
Weird. I've bought I don't know how many bottles of Ti silver, all were fine. Love the stuff.
Abolish Alliteration