How would I paint panels like this?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Sluis Van Shipyards

How would I paint panels like this?

Post by Sluis Van Shipyards »

I've got this kit and I'm wondering how they did the panel shading like this: http://www.federationmodels.com/model_k ... isplay.jpg (Federation Models' picture). Could someone walk me through how you can do this effect?
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like they probably just masked around the edge of the panel and then either airbrushed or drybrushed away from that, which is really simple to do.

I could be wrong though.

-Rog
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Yes, that would be masking and shading. Post-its work fine for this. You can use darker shades of the base color or transparent tints like Smoke.

It will take some practice, which is the case with everything.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Sluis Van Shipyards

So that's all they did just airbrushed it on? I thought it might be some kind of raised mask or something.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Like I said, it's hard to tell from the picture, and from just one angle, but that's what it looks like to me. Personally, the way they did it looks little too much like they were trying to make it appear that each panel is almost concave, which is kind of weird looking...

So I would probably do it with more variation so it doesn't look so much like the wings of an old biplane. Unless that's what you want of course. :)

-Rog
TREKKRIFFIC

Post by TREKKRIFFIC »

You can do similar staining with a black gel ink pen over a flat finish. Blend and streak with a cue tip or cotton ball. Then seal with a flat or gloss coat enamel or lacquer. Avoid water based coatings over ink.
"Well--we'll be safe for now--thank goodness we're in a bowling alley--"
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

There are two other methods I know of both using the postit idea. One is to use pastels and what you do is seal as you go. The other is to streak a panel with oils like many aircraft guys do. This would work nicely if the panel adjacent to the weathered one was painted like a new replacement panel.

Cheers,

Mark
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Sluis Van Shipyards

Thanks! I'll just have to play around until it looks good.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Remember, if you want to use the pastel method the surface will need to be matte (flat). Personally, to emulate B5 texturing, I'd airbrush uniform but varied panels and then use the oil and pastels later to simulate grime and such.

Terry Miesle
Sluis Van Shipyards

Yeah I'm going to work on my airbrushing. Right now I'm like a caveman, just smacking the trigger to make stuff happen. :lol:
TER-OR
Site Admin

Post by TER-OR »

Og get paint on his eye. Ow.

Terry Miesle
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

This is probably too late, but I just came across this, which is an example of what good panel shading looks like. You can see how varied it is, so it gives the feel of real weathering.

-Rog